Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Udev alternatives in Artix (Read 12439 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Udev alternatives in Artix

Reply #15
what is hwinfo give you?  I'm struggling to understand why the gpu isn't being picked up by the kernel on the boot and the modules loaded normally.  This is not a udev issue but perhaps a /etc/modules issue or a kernel compile issue?   The kernel picks up the gpu and it is stdout... Where am I confused here?

Reply #16
This is a deep dive into what has become a broken X11 system since it has been "deseated" and made to be run out of systemd.

There is no reason why x should not just work with startx
It is now possible to start X but it has no reaction to the keyboard or mouse
ARMtix

Reply #21
Could you upload the files you've used so far? like initscripts and configs, basically anything that could help me try to recreate this and then further tinker.

Reply #22
Could you upload the files you've used so far? like initscripts and configs, basically anything that could help me try to recreate this and then further tinker.
I tested nldev with my own service launcher. The init scripts are in my gitlab repo https://gitlab.com/phkr/fs in /etc/sidal/avail. Nldev init script requires ubase (https://git.suckless.org/ubase) to be installed in /opt/suckless to provide respawn command. This command is required as nldev may fall if it has much tasks to proceed.
In this repo in /usr/local/bin you may also find smdev-helper script which provides some additional processes on creating device node. Nlmon init script is not really needed, but nltrigger must be run after nldev.
You also may find an example of nldev usage in its author's repo: http://r-36.net/scm/stali-init/file/rc.init.html
Have fun! :)
ARMtix

Reply #23
A new successful step is to rebuild xorg-server without udev support. In this case X in smdev+nldev-based system reacts to keyboard and mouse without problems (i didn't test touchpad). However, i had to disable logind support too, so only root can start X. Are there any ideas how to allow user to start X in this case?

Many thanks to Alessandro Pistocchi who sent me this link
ARMtix

Reply #24
Is it .Xauthority and xauth, that allow or prevent one to start an X session locally or remotely?
Interesting question you ask.
I am sure it is security related and whether a user remotely logged into a system can start X or run a gui on an already started xsession.  I am sure if you care less about security then such obstacles could be unrelated to udev.
Let's say a friend in my lan is logged in to console and idling, and I can remotely log in as well with their name and pw.  Can I start x in their monitor?  If they have started X, can I run a gui inside their session?

Sorry for not knowing the answer, I am thinking out loud in case any such thoughts can help you find the answer.
I tried running without dbus, a greater headache, and it is not simple either.

Reply #25
I am sure if you care less about security then such obstacles could be unrelated to udev.
This is logind problem. I had to disable it because otherwise i got build error on corresponding step
I know that in *BSD user can start X session without logind but i don't know how can this be achieved in Linux

Here is error message i have while building with logind:
Code: [Select]
../xorg-server-1.20.3/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/systemd-logind.c: In function 'systemd_logind_vtenter':
../xorg-server-1.20.3/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/systemd-logind.c:248:21: error: 'xf86_num_platform_devices' undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean 'xf86_platform_device'?
     for (i = 0; i < xf86_num_platform_devices; i++) {
                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                     xf86_platform_device
../xorg-server-1.20.3/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/systemd-logind.c:248:21: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
../xorg-server-1.20.3/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/systemd-logind.c:249:13: error: 'xf86_platform_devices' undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean 'xf86_platform_device'?
         if (xf86_platform_devices[i].flags & XF86_PDEV_PAUSED)
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
             xf86_platform_device
ARMtix

Reply #26
Don't say linux, because what is true for one linux is not true for others.  What may be true for arch may not be for debian, for example.

For a while between artix and obarun one of the differences was the one used elogind the other used consolekit.  I thought  I HAD TO use either the one or the other.  So then I tried in obarun to run without consolekit, and X worked fine.  No DM, just a window manager.  I suspect the same may be true for artix.  I just type xinit on console, I have a .xinitrc at ~/ and off it goes.  There is also a file in /etc/X11/ called xwrapper where counter-intuitively  where it says "need root rights = yes " is the correct setting.  I know wayland wouldn't work without elogind and that is the reason it is here.  My brief experience with wayland as it still is, is that I am not missing much.  Who knows, maybe the future will tempt me.

Reply #27
Don't say linux, because what is true for one linux is not true for others.  What may be true for arch may not be for debian, for example.

For a while between artix and obarun one of the differences was the one used elogind the other used consolekit.  I thought  I HAD TO use either the one or the other.  So then I tried in obarun to run without consolekit, and X worked fine.  No DM, just a window manager.  I suspect the same may be true for artix.  I just type xinit on console, I have a .xinitrc at ~/ and off it goes.  There is also a file in /etc/X11/ called xwrapper where counter-intuitively  where it says "need root rights = yes " is the correct setting.  I know wayland wouldn't work without elogind and that is the reason it is here.  My brief experience with wayland as it still is, is that I am not missing much.  Who knows, maybe the future will tempt me.
Everything is OK with configuration, i run it every day with usual Artix build.
Thanks for your notes about Obarun, i will try to find something useful in their xorg-server build configuration
ARMtix

Reply #28
Setting SUID on /usr/bin/Xorg solved this problem. So, the following subsystems definitely work with smdev+nldev:
-X
-audio
-network
-USB keyboard, mouse and storage
-LVM
ARMtix

Reply #29

For a while between artix and obarun one of the differences was the one used elogind the other used consolekit.  I thought  I HAD TO use either the one or the other.  So then I tried in obarun to run without consolekit, and X worked fine.  No DM, just a window manager.  I suspect the same may be true for artix. 

How else did you think it worked?  I think all this layered software is confusing everyone.  There was no counselkit or elongind.  xdm ran out of the init scripts, or from a councel through a getty process with startx .