Skip to main content
Topic: Gremlins has Qt 5.15.9 packages -> failures from KDE still using 5.15.8 (Read 241 times) previous topic - next topic

Gremlins has Qt 5.15.9 packages -> failures from KDE still using 5.15.8

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Gremlins subgroup, but gremlins has a number of Qt packages at 5.15.9.  Unfortunately, upgrading causes lots of failures (including Plasma failing to start) because many of the KDE packages are still compiled against Qt 5.15.8, and fail to load with 5.15.9.  Is this just a timing issue waiting for upgraded KDE packages to follow, are they already in a repository I'm not using, or do I just need to be aware enough to not do such upgrades?
My currently enable respositories are gremlins, system, world, galaxy-gremlins, univers, and omniverse.

Re: Gremlins has Qt 5.15.9 packages -> failures from KDE still using 5.15.8

Reply #1
The qt5 and qt6 packages have been built in gremlins and the same will be done later for kde and plasma pkgs.
Normally you should only enable gremlins on a spare pc/vm.
In case you want to test a specific pkg from gremlins you can always install it directly using pacman -U https://<mirror>/<pkg>.zst

artist

Reply #2
I've actually been running this laptop with gremlins for quite a while and this (although I admit my memory may be faulty) is the first time I recall seeing this type of mismatch.  (My desktop is Gentoo, so I know about picking up the pieces if I break something like this, so take this as curiosity, not a complaint.)  For some reason, I would expect KDE package to be able to run with an upgraded Qt (not to Qt6, but from 5.15.8 to 5.15.9) so I don't know if I've never run into it, or if it something about how the Artix KDE packages are built.  Just more exploring and learning for me to do.

Reply #3
I use gremlins on and off for a good while now, breakages happen usually evey 2 months or so, some are qt or lib mismatches others are a bit worse like that grub "bug" last winter. I'd suggest that when you see qt related stuff, wait till there are more than ~4-5 packages in queue, don't just hit yes :)