Skip to main content
Topic: shockwave/java/flash games in web browser not working (Read 1504 times) previous topic - next topic

shockwave/java/flash games in web browser not working

Hey everybody, I've converted my neighbour over to Artix Linux from Windows & thankfully most things have worked out for my neighbour pretty well, but there are some games on pogo.com that don't work, most do but some that require an account won't play.

www.pogo.com/games/addiction

The game is called "pogo addiction solitaire"

If anyone knows how to get this to work, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated! I read an old post about it from 2013 on ubuntuforums but don't know if it would work or not

Re: shockwave/java/flash games in web browser not working

Reply #1
"   Firefox browser version 42 is not working well with Java Version J8U65. We recommend using the latest version of Internet Explorer 11"

This is the error I'm getting on Firefox, but Firefox is like... version 60...

"Pogo requires the latest version of Java on your computer. Note: Java is not supported in Google Chrome version 42 or above or Firefox 42. Please use the latest version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here. "

Reply #2
There are several versions of JRE in Arch's repos, you could install them side by side and activate each one in turn with archlinux-java. Perhaps you'll get lucky.

Reply #3
Ohhh ok, thank you Nous, but how do I do that? What would that look like? I've never done this before... I learned how to make PKGBUILD's the other day thanks to you guys! Made my first 3 PKGBUILDs for dolphin-emu, citra-emu & medusa-emu, I am hoping I'll be able to start helping you guys with converting arch packages over to artix once I am more experienced.

So, should it look like.... this?

sudo archlinux-java set java-7-openjdk

? Or should it look different? The games that require Java also require an account on pogo.com but I don't have an account & I have told my neighbour several times to give me the login if she wants me to try solving this issue, or give me a link to a game that requires java but not an account, but I haven't gotten either of those yet so I can't even test them myself yet.

Reply #4
So, should it look like.... this?

sudo archlinux-java set java-7-openjdk
Right. Use status to list available JREs and set to switch among them.
Code: [Select]
hyperion:[nous]:~% archlinux-java status
Available Java environments:
  java-10-jdk
  java-8-openjdk (default)
hyperion:[nous]:~% sudo archlinux-java set java-10-jdk

Reply #5
Awesome, thank you Nous. I'll let you know how it goes in a day or two.