Skip to main content
Topic: How do I Replace PulseAudio with Pipewire on an Artix Install with s6? (Read 715 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I Replace PulseAudio with Pipewire on an Artix Install with s6?

Hello, I have switched from Ubuntu 23.03 to Artix with s6 init recently, and I was trying to replace PulseAudio with Pipewire... only for it to not work as I couldn't connect my Bluetooth headset when i replaced PulseAudio/PulseAudio-Bluetooth with Pipewire-Pulse, and I am a total beginner with s6,as when following the tutorial on making my own local services as a database, I only got this when trying to compile the bundle even with the path being one-to-one with the tutorial.
s6-rc-compile: fatal: invalid /home/lexluthor/.local/share/s6/sv/pipewire/type: must be oneshot, longrun, or bundle

If anyone would like to help, I'd appreciate it very much

Re: How do I Replace PulseAudio with Pipewire on an Artix Install with s6?

Reply #1
It's telling you there's something wrong with the type file for that service. What are the contents of the file? Is there a typo?

Coming from Ubuntu I can understand that things will feel unfamiliar on an Arch based distro (especially a non-systemd one), but it's really important to read and try to understand any error messages you get. I'm honestly not trying to be rude, that message appears to be very straightforward. I suspect that might be why no one has responded yet.

Anyway, that file should just contain a single word to indicate the type, one of "oneshot," "longrun," or "bundle." I would think you want longrun for pipewire.

Reply #2
Yeah the type should be "longrun". Also I really need to update that guide because you can do s6-db-reload -u to automatically recompile and update local user bundles.

Reply #3
I followed the wiki for the same purpose as OP because i'm trying replace my init script with a proper user service but I just can't get pipewire, wireplumber, etc to start when I log in to my user
Yeah the type should be "longrun". Also I really need to update that guide because you can do s6-db-reload -u to automatically recompile and update local user bundles.