Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] getting rid of pulse audio (Read 18586 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: getting rid of pulse audio

Reply #15
for both philosophical and practical reasons (resampling, for one).
Resampling is a red herring pulse is fine you can set it to what you want mine is 24x96.

Reply #16
mplayer (as well as mpv for that matter) certainly supports ALSA. Maybe the defaults changed or something.

that is no mplayer available now which doesn't depend on libpulse.  Whether you can compile it by hand is not a certainty at this point.  Not the ones in the AUR or on the mplayer website.

Reply #17

Anthony Jones (:kentuckyfriedtakahe, :k17e)

Comment 11 • a year ago

(In reply to Forest from comment #0)
> I upgraded Firefox to version 52 on an ALSA-only linux system.

What is preventing you from installing Pulse Audio?

These guys are such bastards.  I'm sick of them.

Reply #18
download firefox PKGBUILD

add

--enable-alsa
  --enable-jack

you can probably also

--disable-pulseaudio  

build PKGBUILD, take a break for a few hours

hopefully all goes well and you have a new firefox package with no pulseaudio, but considering mozilla's current trend, it may not build

Where do you put those entires?  In the PKGBUILD file obviously.  I haven't built firefox by course in a decade.  A question now is how do I list all the applicatioms that depend on pulseuadio or libpulse with pacman?

Reply #19
These guys are such bastards.  I'm sick of them.
Then why do development work on Firefox to add ALSA support? So it used to be a good, popular browser. The 32 bit version became a sick joke that wouldn't even run on 32 bit hardware. Stuff changes, sometimes you've got to change with it. So you want to encourage more people to use FF? Why, when there are plenty of other friendly ALSA supporting projects more worthy of assistance? If there are shortcomings with them then try to fix those issues instead. Sometimes the best revenge is to NOT correct others mistakes, but leave them to rot in their ignorance. Help your friends and not your enemies, I reckon.
(But that is only my comment on this  :D )

Reply #20
So you want to encourage more people to use FF?

Honestly, I am not certain what you are speking here of, but I couldn't care less how many people use FF or read the FF.  I just want it to not use pulseaudio, and I don't want applications that cater to that development...

If you need to learn why, then you would be best to  google it.  It is a big topic that comes down to, it is a big fat unecessary piece of software that gets between alsa and firefox with zero benifit.   There is no alsa or pulse.  There is no such choice.  ALSA is Linux kernel sound system and it doesn't need pulse.

Reply #21
ALSA support was removed from FF because noone maintained the code and adding new features was harder than using PA.

Why are you so fixated on FF ?
New FF is not olf FF, most of the useful addons are not working or are crippled, so why ?

To PA:
- yes it is from creator of systemd
- yes it is using more CPU to do the job
- even alsa is resampling audio
- based on what i read on internet it is much easier to add support for PA compared to ALSA

PS: I left FireFox because it is not FireFox which i know and love anymore.

Reply #22

that is no mplayer available now which doesn't depend on libpulse.  Whether you can compile it by hand is not a certainty at this point.  Not the ones in the AUR or on the mplayer website.

Oh if you don't even want libpulse, you're going to have a bad time with that. ffmpeg (both in Artix and Arch) has a libpulse dependency. You'd have to build ffmpeg yourself (as well as anything that depends on it) if you really want to get rid of anything vaguely pulseaudio related.

Reply #23
PS: I left FireFox because it is not FireFox which i know and love anymore.

I'd love to hear what you've tried and like/dislike regarding addons, community, scripts on other browsers, I'm still on firefox because I consider is more secure, better supported and with a much larger community than most other browsers.

Reply #24
like @mrbrklyn said earlier, a large community means nothing, look at the windows and android communities and the general apathy that trickles down to the majority of linux users.  Look at what happened with speck and linux recently.  After all the research I have done, artix, antix, and void are about the only distributions I was able to find that built 4.17 with speck disabled.  For the rest it is not an issue.

Security has become a large joke in recent years and the more you learn about it the more you understand there is no such thing.  But trusting anything from mozilla .inc anymore is asking for trouble.

I can't testify that waterfox is good or best, but for a fully functional browser that respects users and no-script is still functional, I think it is pretty damn good.

Reply #25
Well, I agree that security-wise, the community size doesn't matter, but it's the (lack of) willingness of others to develop addons for the (maybe obscure) browser that might get you in the end. I'm using some user prefs.js from ghacks and a few addons that I haven't seen replicated on lesser-known browsers.

So it's not my love for firefox that keeps me on it, it's the product of the good will of the community, and the size of the userbase has a lot to do with it, it being the motivation for the addon devs.

I thought it was gonna die when they fully changed the addons api and a lot of stuff had to be rewritten, but it just goes to show how important firefox still is, and probably will be for a long time.

I run it with firejail and sometimes virtual machines. Because I trust it.

Re: pulseaudio - I kind of like pavucontrol, and generally I don't fully mind pulseaudio, but it is on the list of things that bother me, I doubt removing it is very high on the majority's priority list.

Reply #26
Oh if you don't even want libpulse, you're going to have a bad time with that. ffmpeg (both in Artix and Arch) has a libpulse dependency. You'd have to build ffmpeg yourself (as well as anything that depends on it) if you really want to get rid of anything vaguely pulseaudio related.

Because the interdependencies on useless crap software to solve obsure edge cases and f**k up perfectly working systems is now being force fed up and down the food chain.  Yes, I want to rip the whole damn pottering peice of garbage out of the system.  I am sick of insecure, unpredictable, OS wrapper garbage that makes huge security holes.   I really fail to understadn what the point is of ripping out systemd if you are going to leave all these other security holes like pulse and policykit in place.  The whole design is fundementally broken and is a mirror of a windows like mindset.

Reply #27
ALSA support was removed from FF because noone maintained the code and adding new features was harder than using PA.

There is no sound on Linux without ALSA.

- based on what i read on internet it is much easier to add support for PA compared to ALSA

That is WRONG. I've written aps with ALSA and it is straight forward and SIMPLE.  All sound on Linux goes through ALSA.  Everything else is a wrapper for ALSA.

You don't remember the days before ALSA.  You had to purchase OSS from a private vendor to get creativelabs cards to work.

It is only easier for lazy coders who are uninformed of the facts and want to make a product for windows that also works on GNU systems.  That doesn't help with BSD though, or MACs.

This is not a war based on facts, it is a war based on propaganda, and it is for the heart and soul of the GNU/Linux OS and who will control it.  I don't want to run a system based on potterings designs.  They suck.  Artix might well be one of my last attempts to continue with Linux.  But they remove the tumor but the cancer has metastasized all over the patient.

Reply #28

:(

I know, but I'm glad you articulated it clearly.