Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] getting rid of pulse audio (Read 18597 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: getting rid of pulse audio

Reply #30
A question now is how do I list all the applicatioms that depend on pulseuadio or libpulse with pacman?

Code: [Select]
whoneeds pulseaudio
(you need pkgtools and pacman-contrib)

However, if pulseaudio is installed because of some deps, don't worry! It's easier to type:
# chmod 644 /usr/bin/pulseaudio
and reboot the system. Then "apulse firefox"  works fine.  ;)

We must create the club:

"no pot stuff on my system"

LOL

Reply #31

Because the interdependencies on useless crap software to solve obsure edge cases and f**k up perfectly working systems is now being force fed up and down the food chain.  Yes, I want to rip the whole damn pottering peice of garbage out of the system.  I am sick of insecure, unpredictable, OS wrapper garbage that makes huge security holes.   I really fail to understadn what the point is of ripping out systemd if you are going to leave all these other security holes like pulse and policykit in place.  The whole design is fundementally broken and is a mirror of a windows like mindset.

Hmm, well looking at it further, I think the only pulseaudio dependency you'll pull in via mplayer is ffmpeg pulling in libpulse. It seems like all --enable-libpulse does for ffmpeg is enable pulseaudio support. So I suppose you could always just attempt your own workaround by just force removing libpulse after you install ffmpeg. I don't think you'll run into any issues unless you try to use pulseaudio (which obviously you don't want to). You'll probably run into some pacman nagging about missing dependencies though so perhaps making your own pkgbuilds would be preferred. At any rate, it seems like a lot less work than I originally thought.

Reply #32
I'd love to hear what you've tried and like/dislike regarding addons, community, scripts on other browsers, I'm still on firefox because I consider is more secure, better supported and with a much larger community than most other browsers.
I like old FF design and functions so i was using Classic Theme Restorer.
Afetr updating to FF57 i lost this option and almost every change i wanted to make had to be done with CSS files
which is very inconvenient and very time consuming, and i was also unable to adjust some things.
I realized i don't need that many addons, because half of addons i used in FF were to adjust its behaviour or to add removed functions.
I want to have statusbar always displayed, because it is easier to see links url in it compared to the floating version.
I was also able to use statusbar as place for addons.
Generaly statusbar has smaller height than main toolab so addon icons are smaller.
It also allowed me to designate place for group of addons with similar functions (left corner, right corner, main toolbar)
I also miss session manager, it is nice tool for guy like me who is using tabs as form of bookmark in combination with TreeStyleTab.

Alos while using FF i had to tweak it (change some preference, install some addon...) almost at each new version.

Now i switched to Falkon because it has my favourite statusbar!

Reply #33
A question now is how do I list all the applicatioms that depend on pulseuadio or libpulse with pacman?
whoneeds pulseaudio
(you need pkgtools and pacman-contrib)
I would go with pactree, which is in "pacman-contrib"
pactree -r libpulse

Reply #34
[ruben@flatbush ~]$ pactree -r libpulse
libpulse
├─chromium
├─ffmpeg
│ ├─chromium
│ ├─firefox
│ ├─mplayer
│ ├─mpv
│ │ └─smplayer
│ └─vlc
├─firefox
├─phonon-qt5
│ ├─knotifications
│ │ └─kwallet
│ │   ├─kio
│ │   │ ├─kdeclarative
│ │   │ │ └─kcmutils
│ │   │ │   └─kaccounts-integration
│ │   │ │     └─purpose
│ │   │ │       └─okular
│ │   │ └─kparts
│ │   │   └─okular
│ │   └─signon-kwallet-extension
│ │     └─kaccounts-integration
│ └─phonon-qt5-gstreamer
│   └─phonon-qt5
└─qt5-multimedia
  └─qt5-speech
    ├─knotifications
    └─ktextwidgets
      └─kxmlgui
        └─kbookmarks
          └─kio

Like okular needs a sound library ...

Reply #35
[ruben@flatbush ~]$ pactree -r libpulse
libpulse
├─chromium
├─ffmpeg
│ ├─chromium
│ ├─firefox
│ ├─mplayer
│ ├─mpv
│ │ └─smplayer
│ └─vlc
├─firefox
├─phonon-qt5
│ ├─knotifications
│ │ └─kwallet
│ │   ├─kio
│ │   │ ├─kdeclarative
│ │   │ │ └─kcmutils
│ │   │ │   └─kaccounts-integration
│ │   │ │     └─purpose
│ │   │ │       └─okular
│ │   │ └─kparts
│ │   │   └─okular
│ │   └─signon-kwallet-extension
│ │     └─kaccounts-integration
│ └─phonon-qt5-gstreamer
│   └─phonon-qt5
└─qt5-multimedia
  └─qt5-speech
    ├─knotifications
    └─ktextwidgets
      └─kxmlgui
        └─kbookmarks
          └─kio

Like okular needs a sound library ...

indirectly, yes.
in long run it depends on "phonon-qt5" which require libpulse

You can set the depth with "-d 1" and it should show only packages which directly depend on it.
pactree -r -d 1 libpulse

Reply #36
Not to be a smartass, but if you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to purge pulse systemwide, then Gentoo is the distro for you... you simply disable it globally and emerge the new useflag packages, and presto, no pulse, no systemd ...

all available useflags:

https://www.gentoo.org/support/use-flags/
(notice pulseaudio and systemd, and a whole bunch of others)

emerge world with update, deep and newuse options

It does automagically (re)build each package that depends on pulse without it - IF the package supports it. Third party repositories might add extra specific patches.
Also see:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=654156

Reply #37
Not to be a smartass, but if you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to purge pulse systemwide, then Gentoo is the distro for you... you simply disable it globally and emerge the new useflag packages, and presto, no pulse, no systemd ...

all available useflags:

https://www.gentoo.org/support/use-flags/
(notice pulseaudio and systemd, and a whole bunch of others)

emerge world with update, deep and newuse options

It does automagically (re)build each package that depends on pulse without it - IF the package supports it. Third party repositories might add extra specific patches.
Also see:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=654156

But it's not beginner friendly and you'd better have a recent i5/i7/xeon, lots of ram and an ssd to make compiling less of a timesink.

Edit: sorry for replying to my own post, I was trying to edit...

Reply #39
Well, myself was a Gentoo user up until 2004. Then, it fried my laptop emerging the world...

I was a slackware users until 2000.  Then I was impressed with SuSE's vast number of packages (especially gamess).  I first ran into GENTOO when the NYLXS secretary, Paul Robert Marino, fell in love with it and we used it a number of times at tech night meetings, testing it out and the new LDAP and PAM and SASL services. 

Reply #40
If the software packages continue to creep systemd and the freedesktop crap into their projects, (X, mplayer, firefox, etc) gentoo will not be a way out either.  They will force us into FreeBSD, which is likely my next move if I can't live with systemd in Linux.

There is no point of making a ton of wrappers for systemd hooks when the design itself is broken.  It is an immitation of the MS design and I left that behind decades ago.

Reply #43
BeOS!

ReactOS!

Or just ... leave pulseaudio be.

My main OS is currently the default Arch. It works.

Reply #44
On those systems you mention would FF work without pulseaudio?
What is the problem we are addressing?