Skip to main content
Topic: perl pkgs incomplete update [solved] (Read 1798 times) previous topic - next topic

perl pkgs incomplete update [solved]

Code: [Select]
pacman -S perl
:: perl is in IgnorePkg/IgnoreGroup. Install anyway? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing perl (5.28.0-1) breaks dependency 'perl<5.27' required by cairo-perl
:: installing perl (5.28.0-1) breaks dependency 'perl<5.27' required by glade-perl
:: installing perl (5.28.0-1) breaks dependency 'perl<5.27' required by glib-perl
:: installing perl (5.28.0-1) breaks dependency 'perl<5.27' required by gtk2-perl
:: installing perl (5.28.0-1) breaks dependency 'perl<5.27' required by pango-perl
:: installing perl (5.28.0-1) breaks dependency 'perl<5.27' required by perl-html-parser
:: installing perl (5.28.0-1) breaks dependency 'perl<5.27' required by perl-locale-gettext

there may be other perl-s that are incompatible with 5.28, this is the list I get

Re: perl pkgs incomplete update

Reply #1
Mentioned packages are (mostly ?) from arch repository.
Do you have Arch testing enabled ?

Reply #2
You mean I should have it enabled to get the next version of them?

world/perl-locale-gettext 1.07-5 [installed]
    Permits access from Perl to the gettext() family of functions
 testing/perl-locale-gettext 1.07-6 [installed: 1.07-5]
 extra/perl-locale-gettext 1.07-5 [installed]

So, let's say I do this, when artix makes 1.07-6 will it update on its own?  I think not.

Reply #3
You mean I should have it enabled to get the next version of them?
From what i saw perl 5.28 is only in Artix gremlins (testing).
I think it is only natural to also enable Arch testing when you have enabled Artix gremlins (testing)

PS: Artix devs were/are busy with migrating repositories to gitea.

Reply #4
I was just reporting the problem, I wasn't complaining.  perl is an artix pkg and so is that perl-locale-gettext, I reported the incompatibility.
It is not like the system fails if perl goes stale.

I think core and testing are asking for trouble to have enabled, it becomes a very time-consuming chore to pick and choose what gets updated from where.  Community testing I have enabled from the time artix-testing was announced, before gremlins.  Never a problem.  If there was a separate extra-testing I would have given it a try.  But core is dangerous, I think.

Reply #5
I understand your point.
I checked only few random packages from your list at first and saw that they are only from Arch repos.
Now i see that the last one is from Artix.
Thank you for reporting.

Reply #6
perl-locale-gettext was added  yesterday  for rebuild with perl-5.28.0, but was not builded...  :(
rebuilded now... 

For another package update you muss uncomment the Archlinux testing reposity in etc/pacman.conf. After you should update to perl 5.28 without problems.

Thanks for report!

Reply #7
gremlins/perl-locale-gettext  1.07-6       1.07-6.1       0.05 MiB       0.01 MiB
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Warn about old perl modules
WARNING: '/usr/lib/perl5/5.26' contains data from at least 12 packages which will NOT be used by the installed perl interpreter.
 -> Run the following command to get a list of affected packages: pacman -Qqo '/usr/lib/perl5/5.26'
# pacman -Qqo '/usr/lib/perl5/5.26'
perl-file-basedir
perl-file-desktopentry
perl-file-listing
perl-file-mimeinfo
perl-html-tagset
perl-http-cookies
perl-http-negotiate
perl-ipc-system-simple
perl-libwww
perl-linux-desktopfiles
perl-net-http
perl-www-robotrules

Re: perl pkgs incomplete update [solved]

Reply #8
The packages which you listed are from Arch repos and one is dead and can be found in aur.

Easiest solution is to wait until these packages make it to stable (extra) or enable testing.

On one side you use gremlins (Artix testing) but you refuse to use Arch testing.
The problem is that Artix does not have resources to build all packages by itself, so we are using Arch repositories.
The problem is you are mixing testing and stable and similar problems will occur in the future.