Skip to main content
Topic: Steam seems to want 32bit libsystemd.so.0 (Read 3099 times) previous topic - next topic

Steam seems to want 32bit libsystemd.so.0

I don't know if Steam's recent update to blame, but it requires 32bit libsystemd and exits with error if it can't find one.
I decided to try and solve it by myself, using systemdcompat PKGBUILD as a base.

Here's what I came up with:
Code: [Select]
_spkgrel=1
_repo=http://mirror.netcologne.de/archlinux/multilib/os
pkgname=lib32-systemd-dummy
pkgver=239.0
pkgrel=1
arch=('x86_64')
license=('GPL2')
url="http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd"
source=("$_repo/x86_64/lib32-systemd-$pkgver-${_spkgrel}-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz")
sha256sums=('91e88d8ca8bd72bb58e6a64ad5cffeb0bcc370f55ceb896873d137f0e9d266c3')
pkgdesc="systemd client libraries without udev; systemd compatibility package"
#provides=("lib32-systemd=${pkgver}" 'lib32-systemd.so') # conflicts with lib32-eudev
depends=('lib32-glibc' 'lib32-libcap' 'lib32-libgcrypt' 'lib32-xz' 'lib32-eudev')
conflicts=('lib32-systemd' 'eudev-systemdcompat')

package() {
    install -d $pkgdir/usr/lib32
    for f in usr/lib32/libsystemd*.so*;do
        mv -v $f $pkgdir/usr/lib32
    done
}

I hope someone finds this useful someday.

Re: Steam seems to want 32bit libsystemd.so.0

Reply #1
This only goes to show how misunderstood systemd really is, and how the community has overreacted to the absolutely false rumours regarding it fully incorporating entire linux distributions.

Instead of joyfully accepting the superb multimedia experiences that systemd could be bringing to your workstation, living room media player and laptop, instead of appreciating the beauty of its design, the grace it bestows upon higher-level software that could exist without knowing what init system is being used  - BUT WHY SHOULD IT?! - ... I now see the light! I now understand why Dota2 MUST be engulfed by systemd. The three lanes must be defined in the kernel, the creeps must be spawned by a systemd timer ... and one can only assume the true meaning of systemctl daemon-reload! (hint: actual daemons!)

I feel ashamed by my past. I bow to thee, systemd, bringer of colourful virtual creatures that I can click upon and kill. The elders say it was also used to start services, but that's obviously nonsense from the extremist naysayers. Heretics!

Reply #2
This only goes to show how misunderstood systemd really is, and how the community has overreacted to the absolutely false rumours regarding it fully incorporating entire linux distributions.

Instead of joyfully accepting the superb multimedia experiences that systemd could be bringing to your workstation, living room media player and laptop, instead of appreciating the beauty of its design, the grace it bestows upon higher-level software that could exist without knowing what init system is being used  - BUT WHY SHOULD IT?! - ... I now see the light! I now understand why Dota2 MUST be engulfed by systemd. The three lanes must be defined in the kernel, the creeps must be spawned by a systemd timer ... and one can only assume the true meaning of systemctl daemon-reload! (hint: actual daemons!)

I feel ashamed by my past. I bow to thee, systemd, bringer of colourful virtual creatures that I can click upon and kill. The elders say it was also used to start services, but that's obviously nonsense from the extremist naysayers. Heretics!

This post is beautiful.  ;)

Reply #3
I also use steam, but I don't think they ever need lib32-systemd in the first place. I've looked into their runtimes and there are no traces of systemd.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #4
I also use steam, but I don't think they ever need lib32-systemd in the first place. I've looked into their runtimes and there are no traces of systemd.

It probably required libudev, like so many other packages do for device management stuff.

Reply #5
It probably required libudev, like so many other packages do for device management stuff.

The native runtime does require libudev0, but if you run steam itself (not steam-native), steam has already provided it's own libudev.so.0, so no changes needed from user. Regarding libudev0 itself, we already have a libudev0-shim package which depends on lib32-eudev instead of lib32-systemd.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #6
The native runtime does require libudev0, but if you run steam itself (not steam-native), steam has already provided it's own libudev.so.0, so no changes needed from user. Regarding libudev0 itself, we already have a libudev0-shim package which depends on lib32-eudev instead of lib32-systemd.

In my case steam (both runtime and native) specifically complained that it cannot find libsystemd.so.0. I don't remember this problem ever before. I was on arch for some time and decided to come back to Artix, which happened after Steam's new update rolled out, so I strongly suspect that this is a new development. Either that or I am missing something (lib32-eudev and steam-native-runtime are installed).

Reply #7
Could it be that you have 32 bit libraries installed from multilib instead of lib32 ?

I have installed systemd-dummy and libsystemd-dummy

Reply #8

how is it possible for kernel level actions to be built statically into a clientside peice of software?

Reply #9
Sorry for necroposting, but is this still the recommended/only way to solve the issue ? Has there been a more official package released since ?

Reply #11
is this still an issue?

as im looking for something to take over my win 7 system

or do i need to see if my low end gaming machine can deal with systemd?

amd-fx4130
nvidea gforce GTX650 ( 1gig )
8gig ram
64-bit
running MBR mode