Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: lxterminal : closing one tab closes the whole program (Read 1496 times) previous topic - next topic

lxterminal : closing one tab closes the whole program

This is a new behavior in the past few days in all arch based installations.  It is not happening in non-arch distributions.  I am still on the hunt on what pkg was updated and caused this.

Regressing back to vte-common and vte3 from the gremlins update did not affect this occurrence.

Going back 2 steps in vte3, which is the 0.52 version, cures the problem.  So the past two versions of vte3 0.54 that came out Sep8 and Sep9 th seem to be causing it.  Also AUR lxterminal-gtk2 seems to avoid gtk3 stuff in vte3 and is not having problems either.

I don't think it is the artix building but the source seems to be from the arch pkg.

Re: lxterminal : closing one tab closes the whole program

Reply #1
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60035#comment173109

After reporting a bug in arch the decision was that lxterminal (last revised in April18) is at fault not complying with vte3 (something about instructions to switch tabs) and it is an upstream lxterminal bug not a vte/vte3 bug.  Or this is how software developers are pushed to comply with gtk/wayland trends.
According to some arch developers lxde team was notified and a correction is being pushed on the upstream branch.  Meanwhile, I wouldn't call it fixed yet, but the solution is to use stable vte3 (0.52).

Reply #2
Code: [Select]
community-testing/lxterminal 0.3.1-3 (lxde lxde-gtk3) [installed]
    VTE-based terminal emulator (part of LXDE)

gremlins/vte3 0.54.0+9+gdace9988-1 [installed]
    Virtual Terminal Emulator widget for use with GTK3

The lxde people fixed lxterminal and it now works well again with vte3 0.54!

Reply #3
This is a new behavior in the past few days in all arch based installations.  It is not happening in non-arch distributions.  I am still on the hunt on what pkg was updated and caused this.

Regressing back to vte-common and vte3 from the gremlins update did not affect this occurrence.

Going back 2 steps in vte3, which is the 0.52 version, cures the problem.  So the past two versions of vte3 0.54 that came out Sep8 and Sep9 th seem to be causing it.  Also AUR lxterminal-gtk2 seems to avoid gtk3 stuff in vte3 and is not having problems either.

I don't think it is the artix building but the source seems to be from the arch pkg.
This is one of the reasons I stick with xterm.

Reply #4
For as long as I can remember lxterminal had never had an issue everywhere I used it.
Primary reason for preference is that I can customize it within 40sec to be easy on my eyes, colors and font sizes.

Reply #5
For as long as I can remember lxterminal had never had an issue everywhere I used it.
Primary reason for preference is that I can customize it within 40sec to be easy on my eyes, colors and font sizes.

alias