Skip to main content
Topic: New user - A bit disappointed really (Read 1492 times) previous topic - next topic

New user - A bit disappointed really

I came across your distro yesterday and as a long time Arch user, who has never liked systemd (though not as fanatically as some), I decided to give it a whirl.

I copied my arch / partition to a spare one, chrooted in, and prepared myself for some fun over the next few days struggling to replace systemd with Openrc using your migration guide. With plenty of head scratching, swearing and starting again from the beginning.

But no. The only issues I had were importing the new keyring
(inline comment was not liked, was probably not supposed to be ?)
Code: [Select]
SigLevel = Never #Required DatabaseOptional 
Changed to
SigLevel = Never  
And all was well

And when I first booted up properly, X failed to work because I had neglected to get the nvidia modules in place for the new kernel.
Fixed in minutes  >:(

After that everything basically worked. Just needed the odd tweak.

I mean where is the fun in that ?
I was so disappointed.
Could you make it a bit harder please ?

Seriously though top bombing
I've already deleted the Arch install and Artix has pride of place on my SSD

So thanks for your efforts devs  ;)

Re: New user - A bit disappointed really

Reply #2
I came across your distro yesterday and as a long time Arch user, who has never liked systemd (though not as fanatically as some), I decided to give it a whirl.

I copied my arch / partition to a spare one, chrooted in, and prepared myself for some fun over the next few days struggling to replace systemd with Openrc using your migration guide. With plenty of head scratching, swearing and starting again from the beginning.

But no. The only issues I had were importing the new keyring
(inline comment was not liked, was probably not supposed to be ?)
SigLevel = Never #Required DatabaseOptional 
Changed to
SigLevel = Never  
And all was well

And when I first booted up properly, X failed to work because I had neglected to get the nvidia modules in place for the new kernel.
Fixed in minutes  >:(

After that everything basically worked. Just needed the odd tweak.

I mean where is the fun in that ?
I was so disappointed.
Could you make it a bit harder please ?

Seriously though top bombing
I've already deleted the Arch install and Artix has pride of place on my SSD

So thanks for your efforts devs  ;)

The fun will come ;)

It is not a complaint against the development team but untangling systemd from user level aps is getting harder and harder, and there are issues that creep in.  And then the upgrades are not always easy because the arch  packages aren't always as smothly integratable as one would like.  But I have been using it from the start and it has been usable.

Re: New user - A bit disappointed really

Reply #3
Welcome to Artix  It just works for me