Skip to main content
Topic: Trying to use rofi-wifi-menu from ericmurphyxyz but cant initialize NetworkManag (Read 445 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to use rofi-wifi-menu from ericmurphyxyz but cant initialize NetworkManag

Hello everyone,

I'm currently attempting to use [rofi-wifi-menu](https://github.com/ericmurphyxyz/rofi-wifi-menu) by ericmurphyxyz, but I've encountered an issue. The problem lies in its dependency on nmcli, which I can't execute due to the following error:

Error: NetworkManager is not running.

I've attempted to initialize it using systemd, but I've come to realize that Artix utilizes s6 or a similar system. I'm in the process of understanding how s6 works and how to start services with it, but I find it a bit confusing. If anyone could offer assistance or provide a link to easily understandable information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Re: Trying to use rofi-wifi-menu from ericmurphyxyz but cant initialize NetworkManag

Reply #1
Why did you pick this init variant? It's the hardest to use for a beginner.
"s6-rc -u change NetworkManager" to start it, afaik it's installed already, if it's not you have the package networkmanager-s6.

Re: Trying to use rofi-wifi-menu from ericmurphyxyz but cant initialize NetworkManag

Reply #2
Why did you pick this init variant? It's the hardest to use for a beginner.
"s6-rc -u change NetworkManager" to start it, afaik it's installed already, if it's not you have the package networkmanager-s6.

I decided to try Artix for its simplicity, as I wanted an Arch-based system without the complexities. My previous experience with Arco led me to explore something more straightforward, akin to Fedora. However, my recent interest in Arch Linux prompted me to build and customize my own system.

I appreciate your guidance, but unfortunately, I'm still facing an issue. When attempting to follow your suggestion, I encounter the error:

s6-rc: fatal: NetworkManager is not a recognized identifier in /run/s6-rc/resolve.cdb

I have ensured the installation of networkmanager-s6, but the problem persists. Do you think it might be worth considering a return to Arco, or do you have any additional recommendations? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Reply #3
or do you have any additional recommendations? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
As you were advised try another init. S6 I'm sure is powerful I get the the impression it's the least used on Artix ?
I'm biased toward openrc as that's what I use but if it ceased to exist tomorrow I'd go with dinit.

Reply #4
or do you have any additional recommendations? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
As you were advised try another init. S6 I'm sure is powerful I get the the impression it's the least used on Artix ?
I'm biased toward openrc as that's what I use but if it ceased  to exist tomorrowI'd go with dinit.

I had to install the distro again to use that? Or how can I?

Reply #5
I appreciate your guidance, but unfortunately, I'm still facing an issue. When attempting to follow your suggestion, I encounter the error:

s6-rc: fatal: NetworkManager is not a recognized identifier in /run/s6-rc/resolve.cdb

I have ensured the installation of networkmanager-s6, but the problem persists. Do you think it might be worth considering a return to Arco, or do you have any additional recommendations? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

That error suggests that networkmanager isn't recognized in your database for some reason. After installing networkmanager-s6, it's supposed to automatically update. Did a quick test here and it worked as expected with "s6-rc -u change NetworkManager" starting it. Do you have an /etc/s6/sv/NetworkManager-log and /etc/s6/sv/NetworkManager-srv directory?

Reply #6

That error suggests that networkmanager isn't recognized in your database for some reason. After installing networkmanager-s6, it's supposed to automatically update. Did a quick test here and it worked as expected with "s6-rc -u change NetworkManager" starting it. Do you have an /etc/s6/sv/NetworkManager-log and /etc/s6/sv/NetworkManager-srv directory?

Yeah, this is what them contains:
/etc/s6/sv/NetworkManager-log
consumer-for     run
notification-fd  type
pipeline-name

/etc/s6/sv/NetworkManager-srv
dependencies.d  run
producer-for    type

Reply #7
Try manually recompiling the database? i.e. "s6-db-reload". If that has no errors and you still can't bring NetworkManager up, I don't know what to say.