Skip to main content
Topic: zfs currently not installable (Read 1196 times) previous topic - next topic

zfs currently not installable

I have the following issues with zfs lately:

For the zfs-dkms packages, dkms install of the Solaris Porting Layer fails, starting with kernel 4.18.x:

Code: [Select]
==> dkms install spl/0.7.9 -k 4.18.8-artix1-1-ARTIX
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.18.8-artix1-1-ARTIX (x86_64)

Here is the tail end of /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/make.log with the error messages:

Code: [Select]
/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/spl/spl-vnode.c: In function ‘vn_getattr’:
/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/spl/spl-vnode.c:308:16: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘struct timespec’ from type ‘struct timespec64’
  vap->va_atime = stat.atime;
                ^
/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/spl/spl-vnode.c:309:16: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘struct timespec’ from type ‘struct timespec64’
  vap->va_mtime = stat.mtime;
                ^
/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/spl/spl-vnode.c:310:16: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘struct timespec’ from type ‘struct timespec64’
  vap->va_ctime = stat.ctime;
                ^
make[5]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:317: /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/spl/spl-vnode.o] Error 1
make[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/splat/splat-generic.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/splat/splat-cred.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/splat/splat-zlib.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/splat/splat-linux.o
  LD [M]  /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/splat/splat.o
make[4]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:558: /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module/spl] Error 2
make[3]: *** [Makefile:1504: _module_/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/4.18.8-artix1-1-ARTIX/build'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:11: modules] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build/module'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:609: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.9/build'
make: *** [Makefile:490: all] Error 2

It is also not possible to install zfs-linux as an alternative, as this has a hard dependency on the arch version of the kernel and headers (linux=4.18.8.arch1-1, linux-headers=4.18.8.arch1-1)

In a nutshell, nothing seems to work at the moment except staying on the 4.17 kernel. Any help is highly appreciated

Re: zfs currently not installable

Reply #1
I was able help myself, kind of.

I removed zfs-dkms and spl-dkms and then  installed:

spl-linux
zfs-linux

The pkgbuild  file for both packages must be edited, simply changing all references to "arch" to "artix" and "ARCH" to "ARTIX" does the trick. The build then succeeds, the resulting kernel modules are loaded and zfs works as expected.

Not great, but workable.

Re: zfs currently not installable

Reply #3
I admit that I am a noob when it comes to AUR - but would it be possible to push out an Artix version of the spl-linux and zfs-linux packages?

Thanks for the information regarding the DKMS packages.