Skip to main content
Topic: xorg keyboard breaks on linux update (Read 274 times) previous topic - next topic

xorg keyboard breaks on linux update

I updated linux-hardened from 6.7.9 to 6.8.9, but when I run startx with dwm, the keyboard breaks, and I cannot seem to interact with the computer at all. Pressing the power button, which normally shuts down, does not work. Trying to kill x or change TTY does not work. The status bar programs are still updating the time, at least, but without the keyboard and mouse I can do nothing. I tried recompiling dwm (6.5), but recompiling does nothing, only downgrading the kernel makes the keyboard work again.
Apologies if this post is a little unprofessional, I'm not sure what information is useful here, and I don't normally make posts.
I also upgraded the kernel on my other laptop, which has a very similar setup, and it works just fine.
this is artix-runit, built from a base install

Re: xorg keyboard breaks on linux update

Reply #1
You should ssh to the problematic box and grab a "dmesg -t" and /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Then downgrade to 6.7.9, get those logs again and compare them (meld from [world] does a pretty neat job as a visual diff).

Re: xorg keyboard breaks on linux update

Reply #2
the issue was that parts of my system disagreed with other parts on the kernel version. It was expecting 6.7.9 and not anything after that, and when I updated the kernel, for some reason it didn't update the version everywhere else. I updated grub and reinstalled the most recent kernel version and it worked just fine.
Sorry for the late reply, some lasting issues you just deal with until you have time.

Just trying to ssh showed that my modules like rfkill weren't working, notifying me of the problem