Skip to main content
Topic: ModenManager at boot slow down boot time. (Read 2528 times) previous topic - next topic

ModenManager at boot slow down boot time.

When booting up, there are bunch of ModenManager popup and it take like a minute to continue. Anybody know what is is complaining about?

https://i.imgur.com/Kbt5h6Zg.jpg

Re: ModenManager at boot slow down boot time.

Reply #1
If you're still using a tethered connection then my wild guess would be that MM is taking a while to configure its networking.

Reply #2
If you're still using a tethered connection then my wild guess would be that MM is taking a while to configure its networking.
Thanks, follow up question, how do I find a log for service start up time and boot time? Some thing like systemd blame.
The wiki says something about svlogd, but I am not sure how to use it.

Reply #3
It is not often I make my first post on a new forum with a solution - usually a problem, but this time is different. The OP on this thread very adequately described the problem and my experience was virtually identical, even down to the messages they posted on their screenshot. I took me quite a while to find the solution but this is it and it is quite easy:

1) Install - rng-tools-runit

2) Run the command -  sudo ln -s  /etc/runit/sv/rngd   /run/runit/service/

3) Reboot and enjoy a delay free startup.

Works for me, I hope it works for you.

To anybody involved in the creation of the distro, I would ask you to consider building this solution into the next iso. A 90 second delay on every startup is not a good way to advertise your product, and that's a shame because other than that problem it runs very well indeed.

Reply #4
It is not often I make my first post on a new forum with a solution - usually a problem, but this time is different. The OP on this thread very adequately described the problem and my experience was virtually identical, even down to the messages they posted on their screenshot. I took me quite a while to find the solution but this is it and it is quite easy:

To anybody involved in the creation of the distro, I would ask you to consider building this solution into the next iso. A 90 second delay on every startup is not a good way to advertise your product, and that's a shame because other than that problem it runs very well indeed.

I don't see how adding rngd-runit to a post about NetworkManager (tied to ModemManager) service problem in OpenRC is relevant.
And please provide a how-to reproduce the 90-second stage 1 (boot-time) delay in runit systems.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #5
OOPS!  :-[
Looks like I screwed up royally here then - sorry about that.  In my defence the screenshot posted above looked very much like my screen at the time of my boot up delay, and (in my case anyway) it had nothing to do with network-manager, it was an entropy problem which was fixed as I described.

I can't provide you with a how-to for reproducing the delay, it was built in when I installed Artix a few days ago , I have no  desire to recreate it having worked so hard to lose it.

Anyway apologies once again, I had not realised the OP was on OpenRC.

EDIT: Feel free to delete my 2 posts as they are obviously not relevant to this topic.

Reply #6

Works for me - thanks for this whoami. I agree a 90 second delay on runit is pretty unimpressive and should be fixed asap

Reply #8
I don't see how adding rngd-runit to a post about NetworkManager (tied to ModemManager) service problem in OpenRC is relevant.
And please provide a how-to reproduce the 90-second stage 1 (boot-time) delay in runit systems.

I investigated a bit, since I swapped hdd for ssd in a laptop, I encountered a delay, sddm screen took ages.
The problem comes from sddm, for some strange reason, there is not enough entropy for sddm(<1000), likely a bug.
Using haveged kind of works around the issue, but it is not a solution.

Reply #9
Using haveged kind of works around the issue, but it is not a solution.
I've seen it too - adding haveged to boot level does remove the long boot delay. 

And now that I think about it more - the issue was present even without SDDM.  If using .bash_profile to startx the long delay occured but startx from a tty did not produce this long delay.
Old-timer penguin