Skip to main content
Topic: artix on your mobile... (Read 976 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: artkix on your mobile...

Reply #1
I found this http://armtixlinux.org/
and was wondering about trusting russian packagers to run a SBC os.

Thoughts?

Reply #3
I am not finding a thoughtful response to my question...

Reply #5
I am not finding a thoughtful response to my question...
This is because it's not thoughtful question at all. It just shows your personal bias (or maybe it's not personal, but you've been condition to such bias by your media).

Reply #6
I ma using ARMtix on my phone and sometimes I think that it would be better using a distro that actually supports aarch64.

ARMtix and ALARM packages are not signed.

Reply #8
I see in /etc/pacman.conf:
Code: [Select]
[extra]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-archlinuxarm

[alarm]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-archlinuxarm
Right, extra is signed but I remember that I had to import the key manually because the dev is using old format GPG key.
So pacman won't accept it.
Not sure what's that not signed alarm repo, no package is installed from there.

Somebody told me that they (main ALARM dev) are not responding to anybody since long time.
ALARM is mostly one man project right?
Compared to distros that have aarch64 updates will be slower, less support etc.

In ARMtix for some reason I have old version of dinit-rc and updating it breaks the root-ro service.
Not sure why.
Lack of man power and small user base are what concern me.
I have a PinePhone and it is not mainlined so I need to build a custom image and there are very few users.
Also nice to have packages signed.

Reply #10
So you agree, it was not a thoughtful response?
No.
But... perhaps you could explain why the question was silly since you brought it up?
I could but I won't.

Reply #12
Somebody told me that they (main ALARM dev) are not responding to anybody since long time.
The (supposed) lead of the project - Kevin - wasn't really seen in any public discussions for a long time, though he still actively commits to the repo. There are at least two other maintainers who commit packages, one of them (graysky) is sometimes seen in pull request discussions.

Compared to distros that have aarch64 updates will be slower, less support etc.
As of updates, they are mostly taken from Arch upstream however in that case they are build using Arch PKGBUILDs which may lack optimization for aarch64. Same for Artix.

In ARMtix for some reason I have old version of dinit-rc and updating it breaks the root-ro service.
Not sure why.
That's strange, all my ARMtix hw uses dinit and i have no issues so far.
ARMtix

Reply #14
While Artix doesn't provide arm64 packages, the mere fact that we have a dedicated section for ARMtix in our forum should be a indication of the trust we show to its developers.

I think it is worth pausing when dealing with random Russian and Chinese developers (among others like North Korea, and Iran).  If you want international breath, you need some trust.  Obviously, not everyone in Russia and China are black hat hackers.  I know nothing about the people mentioned here of the developers.  I do have considerable confidence in the Artix development leadership.  I don't agree with them all the time but they are proven honest brokers who take the time to think things out.