Skip to main content
Topic: NetworkManager & DHCP not working out today (Read 4368 times) previous topic - next topic

NetworkManager & DHCP not working out today

Alright, I've given up trying to mess with this thing. I can't seem to get DHCP working with NetworkManager for the life of me, I have to use a static IP or I get no connection, that's no good for a laptop that I use when I go out.

What should I use? Dnsmasq? dhcp? dhcpcd? dhclient? I've tried all of them one by one and I've had no luck, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong at this point, been trying to fix this issue for hours but have made no progress... hoping someone who knows more than me can help.

It would appear I'm experiencing the same issue on my desktop w Artix. Other PCs I use different distros on seem to work just fine...

Re: NetworkManager & DHCP not working out today

Reply #1
I never knew I had to edit any files to make NetworkManager work - Its always just worked for me.

This is what I did to fix it:

edit /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/dhcp-client.conf
Code: [Select]
[main]
dhcp=dhclient

Reply #2
Does the file /etc/machine-id exist?
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #3
I never knew I had to edit any files to make NetworkManager work - Its always just worked for me.

This is what I did to fix it:

edit /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/dhcp-client.conf
[main]
dhcp=dhclient

I have always hated this thing and ran dhcpcd by hand

Reply #5

Alright. So we all know that NetworkManager depends on dbus.
Apparently, the built-in DHCP client for NetworkManager (NOT dhclient) requires /etc/machine-id (from dbus) to exist, I've encountered this problem before (back when runit is still in testing) and when I generate the file, the DHCP finally works.
See this for more information.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #6
/var/lib/dbus/machine-id
cp to /etc/machine-id

Right
Wondering about it I found that at some time some months ago dbus exchanged my original cloned machine-id for a new one and kept the original in /var/lib/dbus/machine-id.temp
Probably because there was no /etc/machine-id so it created one replacing the one in var/lib

Those systemd people love to squeeze those "Unique" ids  here and there and everywhere, makes it easier for certain "agenc1es" to identify systems and users.  I am beginning to think that RH is nothing but a laundering outfit.  I bet they do a lot of gov' consulting for "income".

Reply #7
Those systemd people love to squeeze those "Unique" ids  here and there and everywhere, makes it easier for certain "agenc1es" to identify systems and users.
Put this in the root crontab and you'll never have to worry again about it:
59 */3 * * *	/usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen | tee /etc/machine-id /var/lib/dbus/machine-id >/dev/null

Reply #8
/var/lib/dbus/machine-id
cp to /etc/machine-id

Right
Wondering about it I found that at some time some months ago dbus exchanged my original cloned machine-id for a new one and kept the original in /var/lib/dbus/machine-id.temp
Probably because there was no /etc/machine-id so it created one replacing the one in var/lib

Those systemd people love to squeeze those "Unique" ids  here and there and everywhere, makes it easier for certain "agenc1es" to identify systems and users.  I am beginning to think that RH is nothing but a laundering outfit.  I bet they do a lot of gov' consulting for "income".

I don't know what can possible be accomplished with this.  The TCP/IP protocals already embeed a unique ID with the MAC address.

Reply #9

I don't know what can possible be accomplished with this.  The TCP/IP protocals already embeed a unique ID with the MAC address.

MAC spoofing is an old trick and easily done, you are basically confusing your router of being someone new.
The rest of the uuids, along with mac and alternate mac, only help crosstabulation of who you are and who you are pretending to be.  The more data the merrier.  Imagine if we "all" agreed to change all our numbers to one specific set, not universally unique.   This is based on the assumption that we are capable of knowing all of our unique identifiers.  Once such a number was created in the system, and with all the encryption capability our systems are capable of, who says there are not all there, even if we keep changing them. 

It is a never ending hunt that can only lead to insanity.  At some point you consciously admit defeat and say "I don't give a shit".  It is still interesting to inquire on how phooked U R.  I believe it is still healthy to openly discuss it.