Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Can't flag packages out of date (Read 391 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't flag packages out of date

Why are users generally barred from flagging packages out of date in the artix package site? Do the forum accounts work on there?

Re: Can't flag packages out of date

Reply #1
Do the forum accounts work on there?

Nope.

Why are users generally barred from flagging packages out of date in the artix package site?

Like why is registration required but also not possible? No idea. Just designed that way I guess.

Honestly I don't think we need a package flagging system since the majority of our packages just follow Arch. I'm working on a replacement for the package site and flagging will not be a part of it.

Instead, some team members developed artix-checkupdates. Then I developed this website that wraps around that. Chances are the package you have in mind is already listed as upgradable. If it is and it's taking a while, that's because we could use another maintainer or two.

If not:

• Is the package in question also in Arch's repos? Is it out-of-date there as well? Flag it as out of date on their site.
  • Is the package an init script? Post about it in the appropriate init subforum.
  • Is the package neither an init script nor in Arch's repos? Post about it in this subforum.

Reply #2
Nope
Yeah thought so.

Like why is registration required but also not possible? No idea. Just designed that way I guess.

Honestly I don't think we need a package flagging system since the majority of our packages just follow Arch. I'm working on a replacement for the package site and flagging will not be a part of it.

It was weird having those flag buttons but we can't activate them anyway. Also the website is horrendous on mobile.

So you mean we follow arch's release schedule or we pull straight from Arch repos?
Oh I see.

If it is and it's taking a while, that's because we could use another maintainer or two.

Very true, Artix could use a few more maintainers.
Right now I'm just waiting for the Plasma 6.1.3 update.

Reply #3
So you mean we follow arch's release schedule or we pull straight from Arch repos?

We don't (normally*) push updates before they come to Arch. And then we use their PKGBUILD. So both.

Right now I'm just waiting for the Plasma 6.1.3 update.

We're aware of the pending updates. Our Plasma maintainer is on holiday.

Also the website is horrendous on mobile.

Have you tried recently? There were some mobile improvements sitting around in git that finally got deployed about a month ago. Not that it matters too much, that site's days are numbered.

Reply #4
Have you tried recently? There were some mobile improvements sitting around in git that finally got deployed about a month ago. Not that it matters too much, that site's days are numbered.

Well now that you mention it the site does seems to be rid of it's display issue, although I may have not noticed because it's still the same website.
And hmm, I see. So your website is the sure successor then?

We're aware of the pending updates. Our Plasma maintainer is on holiday.

I thought as much haha. I hope they're well. I remember one plasma 6 update being released here more or less on the same day the next was released on the plasma site, so it felt meaningless to build the now older package rather than the new one. That was funny.

We don't (normally*) push updates before they come to Arch. And then we use their PKGBUILD. So both.

Hmm I see. I think it's a good decision, even with slower upgrades by having arch as a sort of shield to detect if things are not good to update for now?
And wait for them to fix it. Things are already near the verge of breaking with our different init systems trying to be compatible in harmony with less and (more needed) community support.

Reply #5
I think I'll mark the topic as solved now, is nothing else is needed to be said. Thanks for your help and answering, I appreciate it.