Skip to main content
Topic: Artix update  (Read 2676 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix update

Hi all, I've a little question. I've just migrated my arch installation, but the updates of packages following arch update?

Re: Artix update

Reply #1
Hello,
Yes, most of the packages are following Arch updates.
There are some cases when Artix is slower or faster, but they are rare.

Reply #2
Welcome
If you look at your /etc/pacman.conf and the wiki you will see how the artix repo hierarchy goes.  system-world-galaxy on top of extra and community from arch (core is disabled and totally replaced by system).  Gremlins is the equivalent of arch's testing.
Kernel updates, because they take so much human and cpu power to build, are slower and jump editions.  They are also cleaner from nasty stuff like speck-crypto.
AUR helpers that were dropped from arch exist on artix.
Also check out artools and see if you need to make use of them.

Reply #3
Hi, sorry if I use this my thread for another question.
I've a curiosity, when I launch an upgrade with pacman -Syu, I receive this answer
Code: [Select]
attenzione: gdb: la versione installata (8.2-2) è più recente di quella presente in world (8.1.1-1)
attenzione: gdb-common: la versione installata (8.2-2) è più recente di quella presente in world (8.1.1-1)
attenzione: libmm-glib: la versione installata (1.8.2-1) è più recente di quella presente in world (1.8.0-2)
attenzione: meson: la versione installata (0.48.0-2) è più recente di quella presente in world (0.47.2-1)
attenzione: modemmanager: la versione installata (1.8.2-1) è più recente di quella presente in world (1.8.0-2)
attenzione: ndctl: la versione installata (63-1) è più recente di quella presente in world (61.2-1)
attenzione: trizen: la versione installata (1:1.53-1) è più recente di quella presente in galaxy (1.51-1)

I know why I receive this, but I could have some problems for it?

Reply #4
Sure, there might be some problems with versions of libraries.
The solutions which i can think of are:
  • Wait until all those warning will disappear
  • enable Artix gremlins (testing) repository and you should be +- on par with Arch

Reply #5
Thanks, tomorrow I will enable gremlins testing and I will seen if warning go out

Reply #6
If you replace those pkgs with the artix equivalent the warnings will go away.  For them to be repackaged by artix they have systemd-crap-dependencies/relations in them.
But it can happen with aur pkgs as well, for example I have an inxi pkg that is more advanced than even arch and I get this warning that it is newer.    But I wouldn't choose any pkg from Arch over one of Artix, despite of version.