Skip to main content
Topic: Attempting to Fix a VM (Login Shell and TTY Invisible After Update) (Read 1125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Attempting to Fix a VM (Login Shell and TTY Invisible After Update)

Reply #15
Some years back I didn't have success booting to console with kernel cmdline softlevel on OpenRC; perhaps it works now. Worst case, temporarily disable your login manager.

I'll have to try that (former) option. I currently do not have a login/display manager installed.

Reply #16
Some years back I didn't have success booting to console with kernel cmdline softlevel on OpenRC; perhaps it works now. Worst case, temporarily disable your login manager.

Just reviewed how to use the softlevel parameter, to make sure I knew what I'm doing:

which then prompted me to check/see what runlevels are currently available for me to pick from:

Now reviewing what service(s) are in each runlevel, to see if I screwed myself by adding a service that causes the issue. I wasn't able to find anything obvious last time, but am always open to re-checking (to be sure).

Reply #17
The strange thing, for me, is the fact that the screen goes black (and resizes itself) right after "termencoding start" appears onScreen. I'm wondering if there's a config file for me to review, that's referenced by the startup script for termencoding ...

Reply #18
On an unrelated note, I also can't see anything when switching into single-user mode.

Same issue as when I'm in TTY, sadly.

I never thought I say these words, but I now miss my TTY.

Reply #19
So, over 40 packages were updated tonight (pacman -Syu). And like the previous major update, the Linux kernel got upgraded to a newer version. This time, it seems that the kernel version upgrade helped. Though now, I have something else to look into...

I don't remember getting anything like this when TTY was last visible  :o

Reply #20
Perhaps that's a product of me changing the verbosity for rc output...