Skip to main content
Topic: Why do runit and openrc packages conflict? (Read 8809 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Why do runit and openrc packages conflict?

Reply #45
I searched to see if pacman has an alternatives / update-alternatives equivalent, but it seems it doesn't, and the Arch philosophy is to use the latest version of everything, not have different possibilities. /usr/bin/init isn't a symlink, it's a binary that checks if runit or openrc is installed:
$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/init
/usr/bin/init is owned by artix-sysvcompat 0.3.7-9
And it doesn't only deal with init, if you look at the source, it has to remap the shutdown / reboot commands too, so installing 2 inits wouldn't be quite as simple as just dealing with /usr/bin/init.

Reply #46
/usr/bin/init isn't a symlink, it's a binary that checks if runit or openrc is installed:

No its not, it is a symlink, I implemented it, it is set depending what you install.

Reply #47
Oh yes, you are right of course, I did this:
$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/init
/usr/bin/init is owned by artix-sysvcompat 0.3.7-9
and looked at in a text editor (but that followed the symlink, of course)
But I should also have done this!
$ ls -l /usr/bin/init
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Oct 24 21:42 /usr/bin/init -> openrc-init
 ;D
Lucky someone knows how it works then  :)

Reply #48
But whether or not the 2 inits conflict, which is reasonable, there is no reason for the initscripts to conflict except through their dependencies on the conflicting inits.

Reply #49

Lucky someone knows how it works then  :)

Which is quite unusual these days.

But whether or not the 2 inits conflict, which is reasonable, there is no reason for the initscripts to conflict except through their dependencies on the conflicting inits.

You really should look a bit deeper how pacman groups and the provides array work.