Skip to main content
Topic: IBM to acquire Red Hat in deal valued at $34 billion (Read 1797 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: IBM to acquire Red Hat in deal valued at $34 billion

Reply #1
Hasn't IBM been fairly lackluster lately business-wise? I'm not sure if a more incompetent Red Hat is good or bad in the long run.

Reply #2
With the leverage IBM has on other hw manufacturers I can see how it may become impossible for anything without systemd to run on new hw.  But what is it that they are buying with 34B?  I speculate it is government consulting contracts.  I believe that is where the money for systemd development came from. 

Reply #4
With the leverage IBM has on other hw manufacturers I can see how it may become impossible for anything without systemd to run on new hw.  But what is it that they are buying with 34B?  I speculate it is government consulting contracts.  I believe that is where the money for systemd development came from. 

I think this is very unlikely but it is even more unlikely because IBM is no longer a plaer in Hardware and has little influence on those markets.  Red Hat and IBM were competitors for the specialty enterprise server market

Reply #5
Isn't lenovo part of IBM?  As a consulting firm it is one of the top3 worldwide, right?  They have a say what hw is needed by state agencies and various private industries.

Reply #6
Isn't lenovo part of IBM?  As a consulting firm it is one of the top3 worldwide, right?  They have a say what hw is needed by state agencies and various private industries.
As I recall Lenovo bought IBM's PC and laptop division quite some years ago. I don't think they are part of IBM but maybe are still allowed to use some branding ?

Reply #7
Today's IBM doesn't produce PC's anymore and operating systems are not the only things Red Hat makes. Surprisingly both parties deal in cloud services, tho they don't get much media coverage for that.

Red Hat offers a handful of solutions for creating cloud software platforms, such as OpenStack, OpenShift, JBoss used to supposedly quickly implement own solutions using containerization, microservices and other quatum-physics-technologies which I can hardly comprehend. On the other hand IBM's portfolio seems similar, but the brand itself is actually mostly associated with hardware infrastructure. Acquisition of Red Had could extend IBM's service offer with software model and technological stack.

Other than that, Red Hat is still to function as a separate brand, and „long-lasting commitment” was declared in support and development of open-source projects... which means nothing really.

All in all, we can be glad it wasn't Oracle.