Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] everything breaks with last update (Read 2344 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] everything breaks with last update

mplayer, vlc, dead, firefox required an icu upgrade. 

Re: everything breaks with last update

Reply #1
mplayer, vlc, dead, firefox required an icu upgrade. 
Packages (17) bind-9.13.3-3  bind-tools-9.13.3-3  boost-libs-1.68.0-2  cups-filters-1.21.3-2  firefox-63.0-2  harfbuzz-2.0.2-2  harfbuzz-icu-2.0.2-2  icu-63.1-2  libxml2-2.9.8-6  perl-dbi-1.642-1  poppler-0.70.1-1  poppler-qt5-0.70.1-1
              qt5-base-5.11.2-2  qt5-location-5.11.2-2  qt5-webkit-5.212.0alpha2-21  recode-3.7.1-1  thunderbird-60.2.1-2

things look like they are working this morning

Re: [SOLVED] everything breaks with last update

Reply #3
Nothing broke for me.

Why would you post downgrading instructions, is that what you had to do?

Reply #4
Nothing broke for me.

Why would you post downgrading instructions, is that what you had to do?

You had to downgrade icu for things to work.  Then by the next day, all the updates worked.  As has been said, this exact event had happened before and is detailed on the forum.

Reply #5
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,728.0.html

At the end of this long discussion the bottom line is that this is something that happens with the way arch is pushing pkgs downstream before all their dependents catch-up.  It has nothing to do with artix.

Reply #6
I see, artoo summed it up well. Just bad timing.

Reply #7
Our packages populate the repos in the order they get built. It can often happen that a mirror syncs a snapshot of our primary repository just before an updated package has been pushed; depending on the sync frequency, this may cause a delay of 30 minutes to 6 hours, for mirrors syncing 4 times a day, before they receive the new package. It's an inherent drawback of the rolling release model and package propagation.

Having [gremlins] and [testing] disabled, reduces such a chance to almost zero, because the moves from testing to production repos happens instantaneously (i.e. there's no build time delay, just a move and database rebuild).

Reply #8
^ Yes i dont enable any testing or gremlins, beyond my skill level and i am no developer or tester so not needed. Thanks for the info.

Reply #9
Is it possible to rebuild packages with static linking to avoid such behavior? Maybe not all but those of them which break often after updates.
ARMtix

Reply #10
Is it possible to rebuild packages with static linking to avoid such behavior? Maybe not all but those of them which break often after updates.
I'm afraid not... Static linking demands more changes to the PKGBUILDs than we're willing to apply and, more importantly, increases the package size dramatically - think of appimage size.