Skip to main content
Topic: Mirrors and outdated packages versions (Read 1313 times) previous topic - next topic

Mirrors and outdated packages versions

Hi, everyone,

I have a question that has been bugging me for a while. I use the following server as Artix main mirror because it has proven to be quite fast and reliable:
Code: [Select]
Server = https://artix.wheaton.edu/repos/$repo/os/$arch
However, being as paranoid as I am, and based in a negative experience (I got a lot of upgrading issues caused by having an outdated, perhaps no longer maintained, main mirror repository). I often switch my main mirror to check whether everything is Ok or not.

I've been seeing for a while that this server seems to be updated more often than the others; for instance, today (nov. 2nd, 2018) I would got this downgrades:
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: archlinux-keyring: downgrading from version 20181031-1 to version 20181018-1
warning: libva-mesa-driver: downgrading from version 18.2.4-1 to version 18.2.3-1
warning: mesa: downgrading from version 18.2.4-1 to version 18.2.3-1
warning: mesa-vdpau: downgrading from version 18.2.4-1 to version 18.2.3-1
warning: opencl-mesa: downgrading from version 18.2.4-1 to version 18.2.3-1
warning: sdl2: downgrading from version 2.0.9-1 to version 2.0.8-11

if I would have kept clarkson's mirror as the main one (which is by the way top of the list in the web page repository instructions)
Server = https://mirror.clarkson.edu/artix-linux/repos/$repo/os/$arch 

So, guys is it Ok (meaning safe) having the wheaton server as my top mirror? It is faster than the others, do their updates occur earlier?

I know this might not be important at all, but I'll appreciate any further comment.

Best regards.

Re: Mirrors and outdated packages versions

Reply #1
here is what I do to check for responsiveness.

ping -c 2 mirror.clarkson.edu
ping -c 2 ftp.sh.cvut.cz
ping -c 2 ftp.cc.uoc.gr
ping -c 2 artix.wheaton.edu
ping -c 2 mirror.strits.dk
ping -c 2 mirrors.dotsrc.org
ping -c 2 mirrors.nettek.us
ping -c 2 mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn
ping -c 2 www.nylxs.com
ping -c 2 mirror1.artixlinux.org

But ping response does not always indicate faster downloads.  Also the server may be working but it is just blocking ping requests.
Wheaton and strits did not respond for me. 
If you are having doubts about your repository being in sync flip the last, artixlinux to the top and check if there is a difference.  I assume it is best not to use that one so it is free to feed the mirrors.

Reply #2
I tend to find a good mirror and stick with it years ago i discovered swapping mirrors breaks systems.
my arch install has run 10 years on the same mirror with no problems.

Artix since i installed it 15 months ago  has run on the same mirror with nill problems for me.
I also find the university mirrors tend to keep updated  better than others.

Reply #3
So, guys is it Ok (meaning safe) having the wheaton server as my top mirror? It is faster than the others, do their updates occur earlier?
I know this might not be important at all, but I'll appreciate any further comment.
All this just means that wheaton syncs more frequently than clarkson. They also have a last-sync timestamp file which shows the latest time they've sync'ed. Other than that, it's not really important unless one's updating their system every hour or so. I personally go with my geographically nearest mirror, except for my laptop which syncs directly from our build server for testing reasons.