Skip to main content
Topic: Hosting a server on my own internet (Read 202 times) previous topic - next topic

Hosting a server on my own internet

Hi,

Has anyone here hosted a server in their home through their own internet? I have fiber internet and lots of computers so I'm wondering if I can put them to use on the internet safely?

One option is to host a cloud server and use ssh to forward my computers local port to the remote server, but is there another more direct way so that I don't need to rent any cloud servers? There would be security risks, right?
Where I come from, Quality is job one, so we stay up all night just to get the job done.

Re: Hosting a server on my own internet

Reply #1
Yes it is of course possible. I do and have for years in many forms.

There are securty risks. But then there are if you set up a server on a vps if you don't know what you are doing.

Re: Hosting a server on my own internet

Reply #2
The simplest way it to add port forwarding to your router: it simply allows incoming messages on a certain port to be routed to a specific local host instead of being discarded entirely.

This is the way to go if you want to make some resources public, like if you want to host a web server or a mail server.

If you want to access private resources and for them to stay private, you have to set up a VPN in your router.

If you do either of this, you probably want to negotiate with your ISP for a static IP address, by default they give you a dynamic one, which is going to change every day or so, screwing up the DNS settings of the domain you've rented.

You're likely rocking your ISP's modem/router, so, I can't help you do anything to actually help you do any of that but tell you to RTFM the ISP gave you with the modem/router.

Also, remember: what you're doing is punching holes in your firewall, you are going to decrese your security. Be sure you actually want to do it.