Skip to main content
Topic: GDM not starting when using an X11 backend (Read 223 times) previous topic - next topic

GDM not starting when using an X11 backend

When using an X11 backend for gdm by uncommenting #EnableWayland = false in /etc/gdm/custom.conf GDM suddenly refuses to start calling multiple tty login prompts that dont let you finish typing until the tty login prompt that didn't let you finish typing your username finaly unfreezes, revealing another tty login prompt that just logs you into tty1 upon entering credentials. Furthermore starting gdm manually does nothing. To avoid confusion and false diagnoses, I want to say right here that I have installed gdm and gdm-openrc and I've also added gdm to the default runlevel. On a Wayland backend it works fine but I don't want to use Wayland as it has multiple problems on my hardware.

Re: GDM not starting when using an X11 backend

Reply #1
The X11 backend does seem completely broken for me as well. Although in my case, it simply just goes to a black screen. I'd suggest reporting this upstream as the default wayland screen works fine. We don't custom patch gdm so there's no reason it shouldn't work. Also you can still login an xorg session if you use wayland for gdm.

Reply #2
Thanks for your reply, however I think it is not necessarily an issue with upstream gdm because I tested it on vanilla Arch and it worked without a problem. That makes me think, that it may be an issue with the gdm-openrc package.

Reply #3
You can just try "sudo gdm" in the tty. No need to use the openrc package. I wasn't either.