Skip to main content
Topic: Package request: auto-cpufreq (Read 512 times) previous topic - next topic

Package request: auto-cpufreq

Is it possible to add auto-cpufreq to the artix repositories?

As far as I understand, in addition to systemd, it can work with s6, dinit, runit and openrc, everything needed for this is in the scripts directory, but its installation is complex and unclear.

Re: Package request: auto-cpufreq

Reply #1
Or recommend an analogue that is not so terribly designed and written ;)

Reply #2
I recommend intel-undervolt if you are on intel and messing with some of the cpu governor tunables (or switching the entire gov. around) for instance for ondemand or on newer hardware schedutil, then changing some kernel params. for swap/caches/etc maybe changing the kernel to one with different parameters already set.

This does 75% what that tool does but it requires some manual labour :-)

Reply #3
As far as I understand, intel-undervolt supports processors starting from the 4th generation of intel (I have the 3rd).

Reply #4
I built it once and tested it on a 9.5Gen Intel system; it failed to start properly but did not give any indication why. IIRC there were many similar bug reports but no fix nor help. So after an hour or so I moved it to /dev/null

What purpose does the package need to serve? Maybe there is another solution.

artist

Reply #5
I think the project page says it better than I can...

I found this page. I'll go read up on these tools.

Reply #6
Artist, can you add thinkfan for now?

Reply #7
thinkfan is in the AUR

Reply #8
You realistically only need thinkpad-acpi driver and a fan control utility for that (in link above, thinkfan includes it).
As far as I understand, intel-undervolt supports processors starting from the 4th generation of intel (I have the 3rd).
Right, just throttle control unfortunately.