Skip to main content
Topic: artix fails to boot following system upgrade (Read 55 times) previous topic - next topic

artix fails to boot following system upgrade

I have been running artix for a few years.  Never had any trouble with it.  Yesterday, I did a system upgrade, "pacman -Syu".  Now artix won't boot.  It can't mount the root file system.  It performs a jsck.jfs and the response is "Filesystem is clean."  But, it can't mount the filesystem.

I tried booting my system with SystemRescue and did an fsck from there.  It also said the the filesystem was clean.  While still in SystemRescue I was able to mount the /dev/md126p5 partition (my root partition) and access files on it.

It appears that either the new kernel or the new initramfs that was created by the upgrade process is bad.  I am using the OpenRC init system, but I don't think that matters at this point because the boot process doesn't get that far.

I haven't changed anything with my system hardware for a long time.

How do I get myself out of this jam?

I am attaching a log file with the boot messages I am seeing.

Re: artix fails to boot following system upgrade

Reply #1
Something with mkinitcpio must've changed, check if you have /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew or post /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. You should also post /etc/fstab.

Re: artix fails to boot following system upgrade

Reply #2
I completed an upgrade yesterday - not seeing that sort of issue.

Code: [Select]
[chris@mars .config]$ uname -a
Linux mars 6.11.3-artix1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri, 11 Oct 2024 03:02:25 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[chris@mars .config]$ uptime
 06:10:18 up  9:19,  1 user,  load average: 1.90, 1.92, 1.74

And then running my update this morning...

Code: [Select]
[chris@mars ~]$ update
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 extra is up to date
python-inflect 7.3.1-1 -> 7.4.0-1
python-pyqt6 6.7.1-2 -> 6.8.0dev2410141303-2
xf86-input-libinput 1.4.0-2 -> 1.5.0-1
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious