Skip to main content
Topic: Re:pipewire @Artist (Read 466 times) previous topic - next topic

Re:pipewire @Artist

wiki https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Site/PipewireInsteadPulseaudio

Quote from: Artist on IRC
mkdir ~/.config/pipewire
cp /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire.conf ~/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf
and edit this file to start wireplumber and pipewire-pulse

but this is not in the wiki, so i thought to capture it, but also adding wireplumber and pipewire-pulse to start is not simple.

Artist, how does one add wireplumber and pipewire-pulse to ~/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf?

Reply #1
The config file might indeed not be trivial to set up. In this case it is better to add the 3 commands from the Pipewire wiki page to your  file .e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands as eg.:

/usr/bin/pipewire | \
 /usr/bin/pipewire-pulse | \
 /usr/bin/wireplumber

artist

Re: Re:pipewire @Artist

Reply #2
This may be off topic, but can it be explained why the init should not start pipewire et. al.?
Would not a service that could be restarted make sense?

Reply #3
because pipewire is started as your user, and the user services support for openrc isn't merged yet

Reply #4
Couldn't you take pipewire-dinit and just change out what needs changing in pipewire.user and pipewire-pulse.user?
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Reply #5
Was about to mention it but PW is convoluted here - for instance why isn't pipewire-pulse a plugin but the v4l2 video accessor is, same for wireplumber (you can define paths in pipewire but you need a separate session manager for the automatic stuff which makes little sense).
So tldr a single shipment won't do, of course a shell directive to execute all three in the background does (and is recommended) but i know, it's not elegant.
I do use it with dinit.

It's the first time i wonder about this, after blindly accepting pipewire as a lazy man's jack client and a better quality resampler.

LE: @n00b Line 320 of /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire.conf has the pipewire self-execute-itself directive for pipewire-pulse and the separate one for wireplumber, but from what i've heard it's not recommended to use it like this.