Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: After update some things are dead: docker, octopi, and who knows what else (Read 3438 times) previous topic - next topic

After update some things are dead: docker, octopi, and who knows what else

Hi.
I try to start a new topic about it...

Re: After update some things are dead: docker, octopi, and who knows what else

Reply #1
(...and this way it succeeded, and posted the attachment even twice, though nobody told so...)
(and what I wanted to say is:)
Hi.
I updated my system and rebooted.
The first suspicious symptom is it waits for about a minute in this state (attached, sorry for the quality, I can't capture that screen).
(I guess something is wrong about the network manager as well. But later, net is OK.)
Then lxqt starts.
The following appers at the end of /var/log/docker.log :
Code: [Select]
time="2018-11-17T09:22:35.610204372+01:00" level=warning msg="Error while setting daemon root propagation, this is not generally critical but may cause some functionality to not work or fallback to less desirable behavior" dir=/var/lib/docker error="error writing file to signal mount cleanup on shutdown: open /var/run/docker/unmount-on-shutdown: no such file or directory"
Failed to start containerd: exec: "containerd": executable file not found in $PATH
and when I try to start a container:
[laca@laca-pici ~]$ docker start portainer-container
Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?
Error: failed to start containers: portainer-container
Moreover, if I try octopi:
[laca@laca-pici ~]$ octopi
octopi: error while loading shared libraries: libalpm.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Help please! Everything is in containerrs on this machine.

Laca

Reply #2
I installed the containerd package. It didn't help.
It's visibly a systemd-based one. And I use openrc. Kernel is 4.18.16-artix1-1-ARTIX.
[laca@laca-pici ~]$ yaourt -Ql containerd
containerd /usr/
containerd /usr/bin/
containerd /usr/bin/containerd
containerd /usr/bin/containerd-shim
containerd /usr/bin/containerd-shim-runc-v1
containerd /usr/bin/containerd-stress
containerd /usr/bin/ctr
containerd /usr/lib/
containerd /usr/lib/systemd/
containerd /usr/lib/systemd/system/
containerd /usr/lib/systemd/system/containerd.service

Reply #3
A user on the IRC reported the same 2 days ago. The solution was to rename /etc/conf.d/docker and /etc/init.d/docker and to re-install docker-openrc.

Reply #4
Thanks
Nothing has changed. The package - and the two files - are the same, 2018-03-12.

Reply #5
My repos in /etc/pacman.conf are
system world galaxy extra community
Is it OK or something is changed I'm not aware?

Reply #6
Thanks
Nothing has changed. The package - and the two files - are the same, 2018-03-12.

Yes, but he said mv the files.  Kill docker first, otherwise the files are still open and will not necessarily be moved.

Reply #7
Yes, I did rename the files. And nothing to kill, that's the problem, the daemon didn't start.

Reply #8
I installed docker and containerd in a clean box (which had never run docker before). The initscript indeed fails to launch, but running dockerd from the command line succeeds. I'd like to investigate, which were your previous versions of docker and containerd?

Reply #9
I installed docker and containerd in a clean box (which had never run docker before). The initscript indeed fails to launch
Scratch that, after running rc-service docker restart it worked.
titan:[root]:/etc/# rc-service docker restart
docker             | * Stopping docker ...          [ ok ]
docker             | * Starting docker ...          [ ok ]
titan:[root]:/etc/# ps ax|grep dock
24202 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/bin/dockerd -p /run/docker.pid
24216 ?        Ssl    0:00 containerd --config /var/run/docker/containerd/containerd.toml --log-level info
Make sure you're using the original files from docker-openrc. Post here the output of ls -l /etc/{init,conf}.d/docker. There's also some troubleshooting material at the Gentoo wiki.

Reply #10
From yaourt's output (thank god I saved it):
galaxy/docker                         1:18.06.0-1                -> 1:18.09.0-2                                                     
and no containerd at all.
I think the previous version of docker didn't need it, and now it does.
Next I'll try to reinstall containerd again, and start the containerd daemon by hand, then (re)start docker.
A containerd-openrc package is badly needed.

Reply #12
No, dockerd searches for containerd in $PATH. In case you missed it in my previous message, post here the output of ls -l /etc/{init,conf}.d/docker.
[laca-pici ~]# ls -l /etc/{init,conf}.d/docker
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 718 2018 márc  12 /etc/conf.d/docker
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 835 2018 márc  12 /etc/init.d/docker

[laca-pici ~]# cat /etc/conf.d/docker
# /etc/conf.d/docker: config file for /etc/init.d/docker

# where the docker daemon output gets piped
# this contains both stdout and stderr. If  you need to separate them,
# see the settings below
#DOCKER_LOGFILE="/var/log/docker.log"

# where the docker daemon stdout gets piped
# if this is not set, DOCKER_LOGFILE is used
#DOCKER_OUTFILE="/var/log/docker-out.log"

# where the docker daemon stderr gets piped
# if this is not set, DOCKER_LOGFILE is used
#DOCKER_ERRFILE="/var/log/docker-err.log"

# where docker's pid get stored
#DOCKER_PIDFILE="/run/docker.pid"

# where the docker daemon itself is run from
#DOCKERD_BINARY="/usr/bin/dockerd"

# any other random options you want to pass to docker
DOCKER_OPTS=""
[laca-pici ~]# cat /etc/init.d/docker
#!/usr/bin/openrc-run
# Copyright 1999-2013 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

command="${DOCKERD_BINARY:-/usr/bin/dockerd}"                                                                                      
pidfile="${DOCKER_PIDFILE:-/run/${RC_SVCNAME}.pid}"                                                                                
command_args="-p \"${pidfile}\" ${DOCKER_OPTS}"                                                                                    
DOCKER_LOGFILE="${DOCKER_LOGFILE:-/var/log/${RC_SVCNAME}.log}"                                                                     
DOCKER_ERRFILE="${DOCKER_ERRFILE:-${DOCKER_LOGFILE}}"                                                                              
DOCKER_OUTFILE="${DOCKER_OUTFILE:-${DOCKER_LOGFILE}}"                                                                              
start_stop_daemon_args="--background \                                                                                             
        --stderr \"${DOCKER_ERRFILE}\" --stdout \"${DOCKER_OUTFILE}\""                                                             

start_pre() {                                                                                                                      
        checkpath -f -m 0644 -o root:docker "$DOCKER_LOGFILE"

ulimit -n 1048576

# Having non-zero limits causes performance problems due to accounting overhead
        # in the kernel. We recommend using cgroups to do container-local accounting.
        ulimit -u unlimited

return 0
}
...as I said it in Reply #4, the docker-openrc package's date is 2018-03-12.

Reply #13
BTW the octopi problem is solved. Somewhy I had octopi-git from AUR and it depended to an outdated alpm_octopi_utils (I think).

Reply #14
Well, it works now.
I just installed containerd again,
and restarted docker,
and voilà...
I did the same (I think) 2 days ago , with no success. I don't know what the difference was. Then I removed containerd in my anger.
Thanks