Skip to main content

Poll

Which flavor of Artix would best suit my needs?

Runit
[ 2 ] (50%)
OpenRC
[ 2 ] (50%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Topic: Please help me choose the Artix flavor that's right for me (Read 3555 times) previous topic - next topic

Please help me choose the Artix flavor that's right for me

Hello Artix Users and Devs.  I hope everyone is having an alright day/week/month/year/whatever!  I'd like to get some input on which version of Artix would be the best choice for me.  I'm guessing that there's a lot that could go into choosing Runit vs OpenRC and I'd like to make the one best suited for myself.

For quite some time I've been using MXLinux with the SysV init system.  I recently upgraded my laptop which means its time to choose a distro to become my everyday OS.  It might very well stay with MX but since this new laptop can do just about everything better than my old one its time for testing a few (dozen) distros to find which fits my needs and the laptop's capabilities.

So anyway, like I said I've been using MX for a long time and am still very happy with it on the old laptop.  Artix is appealing for me because it obviously shares the a belief regarding systemD.  So finally we get to my question for the forum.

As an MX SysV user, which version of Artix would be the best choice for me?  Should I go with OpenRC or Runit? Which of those two options would most closely match the great experience I've had after ditching SystermD and adopting SysV?  Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!  I'm very curious to learn which of your sub-distros would be the best choice to test alongside MX and a menagerie of other distros in order to find the distro that my new laptop can easily run and meets or exceeds all my needs and expectations.

Thanks so much!

PS - I've made a poll because it caught my attention while posting this.  Answering the poll will be helpful but not nearly as much as your explanations regarding Runit and OpenRC.

PPS - I'm writing this with my phone so please excuse any spelling mistakes!

Re: Please help me choose the Artix flavor that's right for me

Reply #1
My advice for this: Do not let other people decide for you. Try them both, and see if you like either OpenRC or runit.

Which of those two options would most closely match the great experience I've had after ditching SystermD and adopting SysV?

While I'm not a big fan of sysvinit, I think OpenRC should provide a similar experience to sysvinit (apart from sysv-style runlevel of course) since OpenRC was historically an rc for sysvinit (CMIIW) before having its own PID1 program from 0.25.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #2
Well my experience with both is runit is much faster very light, openrc is more polished and supported by Gentoo.
R6 is maybe newer much faster and was more complete in structure but not supported like openrc. they are all very much the same but different.

Reply #3
You must mean s6, right?
But it is not an option on Artix, you can find it in obarun, which abandoned runit 3 years ago.

Reply #4
You must mean s6, right?
But it is not an option on Artix, you can find it in obarun, which abandoned runit 3 years ago.

Only because nobody is using it their is a S6 section on the forums so it is their if needed.

Reply #5
Hey

To be honest if you asking me for opinion i tried both OpenRC and Runnit and as i am not techie guy i ended up with using Runnit Artix.
As for what you should use i am pretty sure you should try them both and see for yourself. Artix installation takes like 5 minutes to finish, which is outstanding in my opinion (When i was installing systemd free debian fork named devuan installation was 40 minutes at least). It shouldn't be so hard to even install both of them (if you have fast internet connection) and try them.
I can say in my case on the laptop i use Runnit has been booting a bit quicker, but just a bit.

So as i said Artix installation takes few minutes so i think you should test both of them. To me trying new linux distro and new stuff is the best experience and thing i liked most so far ;P. I started on ubuntu/mint/fedora this year and ended up on devuan now artix, haha.

Try both of them and see which on suits you best!!