Skip to main content
Topic: File system corruption in ext4 in Linux 4.19 (Read 1892 times) previous topic - next topic

File system corruption in ext4 in Linux 4.19

Hi guys,

there are reports on the kernel mailing list and elsewhere that users have received a corrupt file system after upgrading to Linux 4.19.
A file system check and return to Linux 4.18 solved the problem for all concerned.
To what extent is Artix openrc or runit affected?

The kernel 4.19.4 is installed on my system.

Code: [Select]
uname -r
4.19.4-artix1-1-ARTIX

greets
Roberto

Re: File system corruption in ext4 in Linux 4.19

Reply #1
If you deleted your cache there is still 4.14lts in the repository.  I have kept the last version of 4.15, 4.16. 4.17, and 4.18.
But I think there was a bug in 4.19.3 affecting RAID disks and  I believe it was found and fixed already.  I read too fast so don't take my word on it.

Reply #2
So far I have not been able to spot any mistakes.
I just wanted to ask for safety's sake before I get into trouble.

Thx.
Robert

Reply #3
I have had this issue happen to me with 4.19.1 and 4.19.5. Under 4.19.1 it happened to me every single reboot. Under 4.19.5 it has only happened once in various reboots. For the meantime I ended up dropping back to 4.18 until a fix can be found.
Chris Cromer

Reply #4
So what do I have to do, to drop back to 4.18.?
I was using Manjaro openrc before and there I knew what to to, using mhwd.
But with artix, I have no experience downgrading a kernel.

Roberto

Reply #5
If you don't have 4.18.6 in your cache (/var/cache/pacman/pkg) then install linux-lts and use that one (4.14).

Reply #7
I have dropped back to Linux-LTS 4.14 successfully.
Now I wait until the fix for 4.19  will be found.

thx
Roberto

Reply #8
4.19 4.20 fix
Fortunately, as of this evening 5/11/18, Jens Axboe submitted a pull request with the fix and it's now landed in Linux 4.20 Git. Axboe commented, "Under a combination of circumstance, the direct issue path in blk-mq could corrupt data. This wasn't easy to hit, but the ones that are affected by it, seem to hit it pretty easily. None of the regular filesystem and storage testing has triggered it, even though it's been around since 4.19-rc1."

The patch is quite small and should be back-ported to Linux 4.19 for its next stable point release, which will be Linux 4.19.8. The code did not land in time for today's Linux 4.19.7 point release.

Reply #9
linux4.19.8  is in Gremlins for anyone that didn't notice or doesn't have Gremlins on.  Since this is a serious bug fix anyone running 4.19.7 or earlier should upgrade ASAP

Reply #10
pacman -Si linux

Repository      : system
Version         : 4.19.8.arch1-1