Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Internet issues after upgrade (Read 5691 times) previous topic - next topic

Internet issues after upgrade

Hey

on live boot or after fresh installation of artix internet runs like super fast. when i upgrade and reboot i start to have connection problems. basically its something to do with resolve, cuz for example octopi says cannot resolve after 10000 miliseconds or something.
sometimes i need to refresh one website 5 times to get it loaded
hexchat irc disconnects very often

but it all happens after i upgrade, before upgrade everything is great and amazing experience

Maybe somebody may know what's causing the issue???

Re: Internet issues after upgrade

Reply #1
I have had a similar probem, it turned out to be a NetworkManager issue in combination with the router.
Go in the network connection setting, and set for IPv4 and IPv6 for method "addresses only" and enter dns server IPs below eg google dns IPs.

Reply #2
nah its not that

i tried that earlier https://www.opennic.org/ < i took ip from there and was the same.
and google dns its not a possibility, if google dns wasnt set by default on systemd, id probably be on some 'evil' distro now ;P.

i did reinstall again and so far so good though not sure if the issue will appear again.

ill add that its good again if i manually disconenct and connect but only for few minutesthough

Reply #3
I had issues with NetworkManager not setting up the ipv4 DNS in /etc/resolv.conf, which sounds similar to what you're having. I traced my problem down to /etc/machine-id being nonexistant or missing.

If it's empty or missing try "dbus-uuidgen > /etc/machine-id" and reboot.

Reply #4
You can always ditch NetworkManager and just use dhcpcd. Never had a problem with that one.

Reply #5
I had issues with NetworkManager not setting up the ipv4 DNS in /etc/resolv.conf, which sounds similar to what you're having. I traced my problem down to /etc/machine-id being nonexistant or missing.

If it's empty or missing try "dbus-uuidgen > /etc/machine-id" and reboot.
i have that code in that file...
48f71d0bba9918a9ab4113295c0fdf81
i added dbus gonna reboot.
You can always ditch NetworkManager and just use dhcpcd. Never had a problem with that one.

i'll have a read about what it is. Thanks.

Reply #6
what do you mean you added dbus?

Reply #7
oh sorry i thought that xx > xx is like echo my bad.
im reinstalling artix again i basically installed nvidia 415 and after reboot instead of log in box i had black dead screen :D.

Gonna try 390xx maybe. According to dhcpcd i have no idea how to, i tried to install alpine linux few days ago however i didnt understand installation i managed to connect to internet but the i had to choose some interface eth0 or something.
I assume maybe this dhcpcd is something like connecting to internet without any net manager or something via terminal?? And then if i connect to it via terminal i have internet on???

Reply #8
I assume maybe this dhcpcd is something like connecting to internet without any net manager or something via terminal?? And then if i connect to it via terminal i have internet on???

Yeah dhcpcd is a dhcp client. NetworkManager is a lot bigger and fancier, but if you don't need any of those features, I'd say just use dhcpcd. If you're just trying to get an ethernet connection working, it's really simple. Just install dhcpcd and the script for whatever init system you use (openrc or runit), enable the service and you're good to go. You can manage wireless networks with it as well, but that requires some configuration editing and stuff. See the Arch article on it (ignore the systemd-specific stuff of course).

Reply #9
sorry i feel like i am too newbie for this wiki  :o

I assume i need to edit .conf file but there's something about mac address. I am not really fan of wikis and wikias...
I suppose i can live with connection problems, which aren't that bad after all. Basically how browser functions here reminds me of nokia e72 that i have got, if i try to connect to some website that processes lots of MB's it will kick me out of the browser. Same thing happens here but it doesn't close the browser, but just resolve thing and i have to manually disconnect or reconnect.
But if i play some online game it won't kick me after all neither i have any lags or whatever. Instead of critizising this i'd rather would like to know why something like that happens because i started to wonder how internet connection is created here, what are the routes and all this stuff, basically how internet operates that i can access website on my laptop via wi-fi and then router and then server??

It's nice because of that and thanks to artix, topic of internet intrigued me :). Before that i never wondered actually how internet is getting to the computer i use. It's nice knowledge.
Of course i use wlan0, but maybe i should try with other internet interfaces but i am worried that if im gonna delete network manager i have i'll have to reinstall.
I only don't understand why when i boot from live cd or before upgrade internet is ok. after i upgrade artix there are problems i have noticed. Same with graphics, after i upgrade i get quite blurry graphics, not like blurry bad, but everything is more clear before i upgrade. I played game battle of wesnoth before upgraded and of course animations and everything were less smooth, but graphics were more clear. After upgrade its smooth but less clear. I like it more before upgrade to be fair.

I am so used to package managers that here on artix i don't know how to behave without one.

The only bad thing about these internet problems is when i connect to irc channels and speak to somebody i often had disconnects it;'s quite frustrating. But maybe i am just not gonna upgrade Artix and see if it is actually any better.
Devuan didn't have any upgrade after installation.

Anyways the reason why i wanna stay with artix not devuan is because battery life on artix is much better, i had xfce on devuan and still it should be good, it was good, but artix is much, much better. There isn't also pulseaudio by default, i use usb audio card and i don't know why but pulseaudio had different sound quality to my ear than pure alsa, i believe it's pure alsa here on Artix. This is another reason.

Is it dhcpcd the only viable choice, how would i have to behave if i had some linux OS without any network manager and wanted to connect to wireless internet via terminal, is dhcpcd the only option???

Reply #10
If you are on openrc, much of the network configuration can be taken directly from the gentoo wiki.

Reply #11

Is it dhcpcd the only viable choice, how would i have to behave if i had some linux OS without any network manager and wanted to connect to wireless internet via terminal, is dhcpcd the only option???

Well technically speaking, wireless networks are handled by wpa_supplicant but dhcpcd has a hook for this so it can automatically connect on boot and all that good stuff. For configuring a wireless network, you're going to want to make a "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" file. There's a crapload of options that you can look up and enable if you want to, but a very minimal configuration can get you up and running. All you really need is the name of the network and the password in a config file like so:

Code: [Select]
network={
    ssid="MYSSID"
    psk="passphrase"
}

Now obviously, you might not want to store the password in plain text. For a more secure approach, you can run " wpa_passphrase MYSSID passphrase" which will output a minimal config in your terminal. It'll generate a more secure PSK that you can use instead of your password in plain text. Check the manpage for some handy examples of minimal configurations.

Oh and to enable the wpa_hook for dhcpcd, you just need to make this symlink.
Code: [Select]
# ln -s /usr/share/dhcpcd/hooks/10-wpa_supplicant /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/

That way whenever you start dhcpcd, it'll automatically search your wireless configurations/networks for you.

Reply #12
If you are on runit you must also install and enable dhcpcd-runit, or dhcpcd-openrc for openrc.

It is weird that you make a connection from the live-image so easy and when you install you can't connect.

Reply #13
thanks.

sorry im too drunk now to deal with this, ill read your email tommorow when i wake up up fungalnet, thanks for teaching me how to partition.

It's not just live boot, it's when i upgrade with pacman -Syu or in octopi via upgrade, there are like 236 updates to download. Like now i havent upgraded and internet is perfect but when i upgrade i get blurry graphics (not blurry bad blurry but i noticed theres difference in graphics before i upgraded like i can see shapes dots squares graphics properly before upgrade [edit] i have to say graphics before i update are better than on any linux distro i used before or windows. It is weird indeed. I dont get this, like even letters on internet and fonts are not clear enough and they kill my eyes but now i can see everything fine!!!!). Same with internet it's hyper fast now, but when i upgrade and reboot network connection tricks with me I HAVE NO IDEA WHY.

It's great before i pacman -Syu to be honest. :(((

Thanks for replies yeah wpa_supplicant is okay. Thanks

Reply #14
okay, well...

i changed DNS in network settings disconnected reconnected again and now i have different primary DNS address for ipv4 and ipv6.
not sure if the problem with occur again but so far so good, i think that was dns. i dont know why when i was changing earlier it wasnt doing anything
hexchat hasnt disconnected me so far as well.

So i think that connection problem and nvidia proprietary with bumblebee solved, so now im happy Artix user, finally :)
Thanks

ipv4 185.121.177.177
ipv6 2a05:dfc7:5::53