Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: problem with audio device after i deleted networkmanager (Read 2303 times) previous topic - next topic

problem with audio device after i deleted networkmanager

hey

so id ecided today to delete network manager and install wicd.
however i havent done anything else on my laptop today, it seems like after that swap something has messed with my audio and i had in vlc audio device possibility to choose hda intel or usb audio but now the choice is pulse audio server or jack audio connection kit or discard all samples blablabla and default
it seems like intel or usb audio that i have connected disappeared. I run one game where i had usb audio detected as well and its not there too... So i cant use usb audio i have now.
I have no idea where is the issue, how can deleting networkmanager and installing wicd affect sound device.

Somebody can help, please? :)

alsamixer doesnt exist anymore uhmm thjats weird... maybe i need reinstall

oh okay i know why because i deleted several gnome stuff. now i havent got any sound at all. is there something i can use instead of red hat gnome stuff

Re: problem with audio device after i deleted networkmanager

Reply #1
You probably had gnome-alsamixer among other gnome crap, nm had nothing to do with it, unless there were some gnome wrappers that owned networkmanager.
alsa-utils includes alsamixer, once configured it works endlessly. 
If you are running lxqt and are confused on how to set wifi with wpa-supplicant this AUR pkg may help you: wpa_supplicant_gui

Just keep dhcpcd and try this, before wicd or connman.  Too much fluff for little benefit if not further confusion.

Reply #2
okay so i did configure and sound was okay from vlc and alsaplayer when i connected it to the laptop
however alsamixer or vlc didnt want to play sound when i connected usb audio device
but when i typed aplay -vv file.wav it played using usb audio
but vlc or alsamixer didnt

i have usb audio but im coming back to use default intel sound card at the moment cuz configuring its is too much at the moment for me
and internet one is frustrating to me. i tried dhcpcd but i have no idea how to connect internet from that
i may try get wpa supplicant gui

Reply #3
Are you connecting by wire or by wifi?
Are you on Artix-Runit?
Do you have dhcpcd-runit installed?

Reply #4
hahah :D

i deleted something i deleted everything that had alsa in the name using octopi
its funny cuz it got rid of all libraries i had as well as artix net manager falcon ;D
lucky me that i have icecat browser on my laptop but i tried to run it and
Code: [Select]
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/filip/Downloads/icecat/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

so i downloaded gtk3 and managed to get into folder with icecat i have .gz file in my downloads folder. i used tar command to extrct cuz archive manager got deleted as well :D.
oh i love to use commands so much. ls folder cd folder tar something blabla how can i get into root and go to the destination and create a single folder or a file using a command line??
uhm it seems like my internet runs much faster now and i doubt im gonna have resolve problems again?? not sure

to be fair what happens is when i type pacman -Syyu it downloads lots of weird things to my computer and that messes up the internet connection. I am pretty sure its libraries.
Some people on linuxgaming forum encouraged me to try gentoo.

i have no idea whats pacman upgrade distro but it downloads lots of blob to my laptop. and that messes internet connection
is there any arch based distro where there is no stuff preinstalled. but i understand i have to run everything from command lines.
At the moment i havent got any alsa sound but now when i deleted everything related to alsa i can reinstall.

It seems like i have huge mess of packages on my laptop. Octopi shows i have 964 packages installed, were from?? I only installed maybe 30??
I may get sound configured but when im bored i may delete most of these packages installed and try get my system as clean as possible and in the meantime im gonna learn how everything is responsible for each thing, but if i get everything out of the box i can't.

I have no idea why artix or devuan are no systemd distros but have gnome things installed. Devuan has pulseaudio preinstalled. Artix has gnome alsamixer. Is this because of arch developers not because of artix devs. Cuz if devuan is fork of debian 9 i understand that debian 9 had pulseaudio installed by default, but isnt it possible to get rid of these and make a linux distro free of redhat stuff available to download.
I know there is artix base to download without lxqt.

That is what i m gonna try to get and write down everything i can to my notepad and try to install artix base and then custom desktop environment and all this stuff.
I have 300gb free partition so i think im gonna make it for artix base to try get artix running and then install everything from scratch. if i try to get into artix in openbox session not lxqt screen freezes and have to reset. As i wanna get used into openbox desktop environment i may just install base and download openbox

but it may be hard without internet connection because i have no idea what base artix has. I have no idea if i have to download desktop environment for example from repositories or if its already in artix base so i just need to write the command and then i can get desktop enviroment before connecting to internet.

unfortunately i connect via wifi but this is pain in the ass... When i lived in poland i had ethernet in all the time. Now becaue its 2018 wifi its basic but it causes problems to be fair, i havent got possibility to use ethernet here or maybe i can get custom router and link it to the other router that i know password of and connect wire to the laptop.
Yeah i am on artix runit but maybe ill download artix base openrc and i heard that gentoo wiki has lots of things covered for openrc.

Reply #5
The base artix iso is just like the arch iso. It only install the base package group which is just a small minimal set of packages to get a working system (you can check what's in the group with pacman -S base). Of course, the Artix base group differs a bit from Arch's base group. There's no systemd junk included in Artix. You still would need to choose between runit or openrc and install the one you want. You can check the guide on the wiki for some guidance. There's a step later on where it tells you to install NetworkManager, but you don't have to. There are plenty of different ways to manage an internet connection.

Gnome stuff is only installed if you want it installed. I wouldn't think lxqt comes with any gnome stuff either given the name, but I don't actually know since I don't use it.

Reply #6
okay well

for what i know for sure is problems with my network have disappeared.
However for me having no ethernet wired connection is an obstacle for learning more about maitaining linux system... :/
setting up wireless connection seems like a pain and frustration that is not really necessary... wireless nconnection is pain in the ass anyway not just because its crap to set it up. Im not fan of wireless connections.

However now i have different problems i havent hot partitions that i have in pcman file manager
Gparted shows that they exist but i can't mount them
if i try to mount them using terminal i get this:
mount /dev/sda12
mount: /dev/sda12: can't find in /etc/fstab.

Im not sure if setting wpa supplicant up is just not putting wep2 or whatever password and name of interface. But who the fuck needs so many security things or whatever, oh cuz my neighbour gonna download movies.
So its 10 wireless networks around me and i heard wifi waves are bad for brain. There should be public free internet hotspts one for three houses not three for three. Oh because my neigbour has a password cant access i need to pay.
Its a joke, unless i wanna use ethernet network. But wireless is a joke anyway. A JOKE.

I am fed up with wireless network right now. My internet is okay but it seems like trying to install most of linux distros out there from scratch without internet connection is impossible. Now try to set up wireless bollocks properly
I tried when i wanted to install alpine linux but i had set interface or osmething and the only one to choose was eth0. :/.

But yeah i used internet for 2 hours now and i didnt get single resolve problem. Seems like it was some libraries that also were connected to alsa, and falcon disappeared and some package extract software too...
To be fair i prefer the open terminal run each process from there way instead of load everything when the system starts.
Like for example what the hell is this:
/usr/lib/Xorg -nolisten tcp -auth  /var/run/sddm/{72ab71e7-7af5-4072-8a19-021268d5ba44} -background none -noreset -displayfd 17 -seat seat0 vt7

what does this -nolisten tcp -auth mean its a command run by root.

Reply #7
Like for example what the hell is this:
/usr/lib/Xorg -nolisten tcp -auth  /var/run/sddm/{72ab71e7-7af5-4072-8a19-021268d5ba44} -background none -noreset -displayfd 17 -seat seat0 vt7

what does this -nolisten tcp -auth mean its a command run by root.

That's just Xorg running. -nolisten tcp just disables tcp (don't forget xorg is a server too). Always check the man pages if you have a question on what certain arguments do.

As for your  other issues, it's best just to take them one at a time. If there is something wrong with mounting your drives, post your fstab output so people can see if you've misconfigured anything.

Reply #8
okay the fstab output is just 3 partitions but i have like 7
it seems like deleting alsa and all libs related to it made some mess

UUID=85e36ff3-53c6-4fcd-af0b-f8251725fb6d swap           swap    defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=74233a9d-5432-4d5c-986d-41378a21ae41 /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1
UUID=1d2ff77c-1a26-40c8-95d3-25f9b5eced64 swap           swap    defaults,noatime 0 2

Now i typed blkid and sda12 where i have all my music and game called entertainment has this output
/dev/sda12: UUID="b7ff19d2-0bb4-4bc1-8c84-289a793b1017" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="2dd1c9e9-0c"

gonna try set it up however i have no idea what noatime 0 1 0 2 means
mount: /etc/fstab: parse error at line 11 -- ignored
mount: /dev/sda12: can't find in /etc/fstab.

Reply #9
The arch wiki entry is helpful on this.

Reply #10
it only covers fstab but doesnt cover how to mount partition
if i type mount /dir/ectory it says that it is directory and cant be mounted ;/

Reply #11
If you have it set correctly in your fstab, you should be able to just do mount -a.

Reply #12
okay i messed up settings on my laptop, couldn even write anything in terminal.
but deleting gnome stuff and everything with alsa solved problem with resolving connection all the time
however i have usb audio that i dont how how to set up. i mean when i typed aplay -vv xx.wav it played using usb audio but stuff like vlc or games didnt.
so im clueless it would be nice to have gnome free system but configuring it all is too much.

Reply #13

so im clueless it would be nice to have gnome free system but configuring it all is too much.

I can only advise that you do necessary reading if you want to run artix or arch.
Mounting is basic knowledge, and likely not answered on forum, because it is in the wiki.
Running artix requres the user to read up a bit if he is totally new to linux.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_systems

Reply #14
i dont really like wikis and im sick of them
its like when somebody tells you google it cuz everybody googles
same with wiki cuz everybody uses wiki.

Im not fan of wiki and wiki is something like a virus. So i am not gonna read any wikis.
And problem solved btw.

edit i only came back to artix cuz it has pure alsa, pulseaudio sound quality is GARBAGE.
thanks for not installing pulseaudio