Skip to main content
Topic: Show Your Screenshots Here (Read 61353 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Show Your Screenshots Here

Reply #30
Nice to see uses not being afraid to use the non top 3 DEs shows artix is in the right direction like Arch/Gentoo, not  1 DE favoured

I inherited my desktop from my Manjaro set up.  My straight ARTIX install, x didn't work, so I think there is still room for growth in this regard, and I wouldn't get attached to any theological ideas about desktops. 

in the thread where arto announced the split, he commented that artix will not be pointed at new users.  Personally, I think that is a mistake.  I don't believe that it is mutualy exclussive that new users can not be catered to, and needing to give up the flexibility and rich development that experienced users need and want.  Where, "catering" to new users means locking down a desktop so that it takes a hercurian effort to get under the hood and alter it, that I agree, truly sucks.  But giving a decent working environment out of the box is an essential part of what will allow for success and growth.

Reply #32
OpenBox, original configuration taken from CrunchBang and tweaked over the years....

Reply #33
@mrbrklyn
I don't think Artix's choice about new users is religious/political but a practical one.  Inexperienced user support requires a tremendous amount of instruction writing and constant hand holding to make steps forward and upward the learning curve.  I think that is what they wished to avoid as it is a scarce resource.  Remember the artix developers do this on their spare time.  Probably working on some Debian or Red-Hat servers in daytime.

But, I do agree with you, and it is up to us here to provide this resource for Artix.  We just have to get organized on how to do it, and it seems as we are learning ourselves.

Reply #34
@mrbrklyn

But, I do agree with you, and it is up to us here to provide this resource for Artix.  We just have to get organized on how to do it, and it seems as we are learning ourselves.

Remember  Patrick Volkerding ?  He succeeded because he kept things simple and in working condition.  This allowed new users to learn at their own pace.  Of course, written documentation was the lynchpin to making things accessible to the public?  I think that general model can be followed.

Reply #35
Artix is geared towards experienced users, twice as much as Arch; don't get fooled by the graphical installer.

Also, remember that we're still in beta, developing our tools, testing our repos, tweaking the buildbot, importing and cleaning packages...

Reply #36
    Already some time it is installed on my daughter's pc and who said that xfce can not be simple and beautiful?
  Installation made of iso, but with net install.

Reply #37
XFCE with Whisker menu.

Reply #38
I love playing with KDE colors lately, this is my halloween-ish theme:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is at work, my Thinkpad at home also has a pumpkin as start button icon.

Reply #39
This is one of two computers I own which run Artix, I have that much confidence in this distro. It's my Asus C300, a Chromebook, which is pretty low end, I bought it for 300 €. It still serves me pretty well, the only thing I would change is the screen, a horrendous TN panel. WM is i3-gaps, though I am thinking about switching to dwm. Status bar is polybar.

Reply #40
My Openbox WM rarely ever has anything else on it than just being a black screen. I don't really use the front end of Openbox much. I have Tint2 sitting up in the title bar area just to the left of the gadgets on any full screen sized window. Tint2 has 7 desktops with Worker & either Sakura or Terminator opening automatically on their allocated desktop number whenever Openbox loads up.

I boot the machine usually in the morning then run the allservers script (I modified it so that it  - allservers2 - works with the Artix & Arch mirrors now :) it can be found here on the ArchBang forum - I'll post it here if anyone wants me to?). After allservers2 runs & checks for & upgrades my system I then start my VPN & then call my web browser. Who cares! I know... ;)

Anyway, that bootup run down was just to maybe show how/why the system looks how it does.

Here are some pictures, they are much better than my words:

[edit:] I added a link to the allservers2 page on the ArchBang forum /

Reply #41
Hi and welcome handy excellent screen-shots your OB is what OB or any WM should look like, function-able with 0% clutter.

Reply #42
Thanks again mandog. :) Icons confuse me!

When I used to go & work on people's Windows machines (back in the day), so many of them had desktops absolutely covered in icons. It always seemed like such a disorganised way to use a computer.
To my mind, of course.

Thankfully the world isn't full of people with a mind like mine.

Then we would be in trouble... lol

Reply #43
Pretty plain looking but i like it.

Reply #44
Nice I used Openox for years but now I prefer JWM