Skip to main content
Topic: gremlins/readline 8 - SOLVED mirror delay  (Read 1031 times) previous topic - next topic

gremlins/readline 8 - SOLVED mirror delay

Either the pkg is broken or it is supposed to come with something else that hasn't synced yet.

Code: [Select]
gremlins/readline  7.0.005-1    8.0.0-1        0.03 MiB

Ignore it if you haven't tried the update.
If you have already, use an other artix installation or live, and link the library

Code: [Select]
# ln -s /mnt/usr/lib/libreadline.so.7.0 /usr/lib/libreadline.so.7
# pacman -S system/readline

EDIT:  See below

Re: gremlins/readline 8 breaks pacman and some artools (alert)

Reply #1
I'd guess your mirror is not syncing properly since bash is properly linked with readline.so.8 here

Re: gremlins/readline 8 breaks pacman and some artools (alert)

Reply #2
You are right, after so many hours and nothing else came through the mirror.  I switched to the primary and 72MB of new stuff came through, including bash 5

Thank you.

Re: gremlins/readline 8 - SOLVED mirror delay

Reply #3
If a partial upgrade scenario has been created, and binaries are broken because they cannot find the libraries they are linked against, do not "fix" the problem simply by symlinking. Libraries receive soname bumps when they are not backwards compatible. A simple pacman -Syu to a properly synced mirror will fix the problem as long as pacman is not broken.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

Please @fungalnet refrain from giving wrong advise in the future, you only create problems.

Re: gremlins/readline 8 - SOLVED mirror delay

Reply #4
Please @fungalnet refrain from giving wrong advise in the future, you only create problems.

If pacman is broken and will not run then pacman -Syu is not going to fix anything.  Is it?
If readline came through the mirror but bash didn't and broke pacman, what would you recommend?  Restore from backup?
I had to get pacman to work in order to revert readline.  I don't know of another way, if you do please advise.  Bash wasn't there the evening before and it wasn't there the next morning, but a new readline pkg was.  How and why does this happen I wouldn't know, enlighten us.