Skip to main content
Topic: Upgrade GPG errors etc (Read 5946 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Upgrade GPG errors etc

Reply #15
It doesn't make any sense to put gpg or pacman-key specific instructions on the wiki. It isn't unique to Artix and Arch's wiki already has plenty of stuff documented that's directly applicable here.

Reply #16
yeah but out of box install of Artix needs helpful guides on wiki too though. users /new users shouldn't have a lot of headaches after installing artix and then trying to upgrade everything. its not good user experience moving from arch to artix, cause they want to drop the systemd virus. does arch linux have a good guide on how to remove systemd and replace it with runit or openrc? I don't remember seeing any good guide on how to switch...? maybe i was looking in wrong place lol

even publishing new updated ISOs monthly or whatever would help... and keep the artix repo list updated in new ISO downloads so users don't have to update it manually themselves after installation could help. you'd think after downloading and installing a distro and updating it, it would go flawlessly. i know artix/arch is rolling release but didn't have this issue with arch before though.. >_>

Reply #17
There's a migration guide from Arch to Artix on the wiki as well. That one should work just fine (a bit dated though since you don't have to use the lts kernel). I'll admit that I haven't installed Artix in forever, so it's possible that the mirrorlist/keys are outdated on some of the  isos  thus causing those gpg issues.

Reply #18
There's a migration guide from Arch to Artix on the wiki as well. That one should work just fine (a bit dated though since you don't have to use the lts kernel). I'll admit that I haven't installed Artix in forever, so it's possible that the mirrorlist/keys are outdated on some of the  isos  thus causing those gpg issues.

Yep, updated last post about the ISO repo lists not being updated. Some other guy brought this up too..
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,825.msg6288/topicseen.html#msg6288

I'm usually the type of guy to use the MAIN distro (not a fork or new distro based off original distro), and just modify the main distro's stuff for my needs. I love arch cause it installs bare minimum (base) and so forth and you put in it what you want... but don't like the Systemd shit. It's like the hot chick (arch) with herpes (systemd) lol.

Be nice if there's a nice guide on Arch wiki of how to replace/change from systemd to sysv, runit, openrc, S6 suite, etc... While doing the installation itself.

Reply #19
Well there's that openrc article on the Arch wiki (which is very incomplete), but there will never be a detailed guide there on switching inits because the distro doesn't officially support anything other than systemd. Also because of the complexity of systemd and all the things it has swallowed (udev, logind, etc.), there's no way to swap it out without rebuilding a ton of base, essential packages similar to what Artix has done. Before Artix, there was the arch-openrc repos that you imported in but that had its own issues and limitations as well.

Reply #20
That sucks.. lol. Arch should have never switched from what they had years ago to systemd. But I'm not their developer so can't say anything really. I know this video was done while back, but what was used in this video to switch init's in 30 some seconds? Looks like they're using Arch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFZGqQBMSSc

If there's way to have /use a simple script like that to switch the inits out it would be nice lol

Reply #21

even publishing new updated ISOs monthly or whatever would help...

New iso is coming, but, this entire gpg issue is basically caused by your own fault.
You did not properly initialize the artix keyring, same issues happen on arch if you don't initialize arch keyring.

Reply #22
That sucks.. lol. Arch should have never switched from what they had years ago to systemd. But I'm not their developer so can't say anything really. I know this video was done while back, but what was used in this video to switch init's in 30 some seconds? Looks like they're using Arch...

If there's way to have /use a simple script like that to switch the inits out it would be nice lol

That's the really old openrc-eudev repo (which doesn't exist anymore). Essentially the precursor to what later became Artix. The wiki instructions on migrating from Arch to Artix are totally scriptable. I just don't think anyone has bothered to make one.

Reply #23
New iso is coming, but, this entire gpg issue is basically caused by your own fault.
You did not properly initialize the artix keyring, same issues happen on arch if you don't initialize arch keyring.

Thanks for the new ISO that's  coming.

Hmm, I didn't remember having to initialize the keyring before in arch...Or maybe I forgot I did have to do it. Lol! I haven't installed Arch for year or so, kinda gave up on Linux distro hopping for while.

Reply #24
That's the really old openrc-eudev repo (which doesn't exist anymore). Essentially the precursor to what later became Artix. The wiki instructions on migrating from Arch to Artix are totally scriptable. I just don't think anyone has bothered to make one.
Ahh okay, that makes sense then. I'm still in phase of trying different distros that don't have Systemd in it. I like Void, Artix, Obarun, etc.. But would like a distro that I can install Brave browser in. Arch/Artix I managed to install it in. With Void, you almost have to learn how to create the package for it and I'm not sure how to do that yet. Obarun is nice with S6 suite, but kinda limits you on how to do partitions and so forth. Currently going to try Devuan (even though it's fork of Debian). It will be while until I make final decision on the main distro I go with.

Reply #25
forum the developers can be dicks and condesending with you and put you down, just cause their distro is shit and created while they were drunk and stoned...
point proven when reading your crap wiki and nothing worked

1. You've admittedly modified at least one key system file (pacman.conf and I'm guessing the mirrorlist too) and then came begging for help, which was given out of our precious spare time.
2. You also kept displaying a profound lack of knowledge about basic operations of the package manager, which is essential if one wants to run a rolling-release system and applies to both Arch and Artix.
3. Your ultimate cause of failure was #1, because you wouldn't get the general gpg errors otherwise, only the isolated ones of which Artix bears no responsibility (and google could have been your friend). However, if it weren't for #2, you'd be able to solve those issues without sweat.
4. Instead of admitting your own shortcomings (or, just shutting the fuck up gracefully and moving on), you lashed against the very people who helped you.

This was your first and last warning.

I know this video was done while back, but what was used in this video to switch init's in 30 some seconds? Looks like they're using Arch...
I created that video and script as proof of concept back in the days of systemd-free.org, with an explicit warning ending with "don't come back weeping about how the internets died on you".

Reply #26
1. You've admittedly modified at least one key system file (pacman.conf and I'm guessing the mirrorlist too) and then came begging for help, which was given out of our precious spare time.
2. You also kept displaying a profound lack of knowledge about basic operations of the package manager, which is essential if one wants to run a rolling-release system and applies to both Arch and Artix.
3. Your ultimate cause of failure was #1, because you wouldn't get the general gpg errors otherwise, only the isolated ones of which Artix bears no responsibility (and google could have been your friend). However, if it weren't for #2, you'd be able to solve those issues without sweat.
4. Instead of admitting your own shortcomings (or, just shutting the fuck up gracefully and moving on), you lashed against the very people who helped you.

This was your first and last warning.
I created that video and script as proof of concept back in the days of systemd-free.org, with an explicit warning ending with "don't come back weeping about how the internets died on you".
That's the thing though, I didn't modify any system files after installation. I merely ran the upgrade command after installation and had Keys errors or whatever and tried the "fixes" from the wiki and it didn't work. Installed Artix TWICE and both times didn't modify any files until YOU said to make sure the files looked like you linked to me... And I do have basic knowledge of the package manager, hence stating I didn't have those issues in Arch couple years ago when I was installing it and upgrading it. I didn't lash out really, I was being sarcastic about nothing working right out of box, which it doesn't.

Reply #27
I mean by "out of box" being, the current downloadable ISO for RUNIT doesn't have updated Artix repo list in it after installation of the Distro. And I didn't know it wasn't updated Repo list for Artix.. Hence me not modifying anything until you pointed out to make sure those files looked like the ones you linked to me, which then I did update those files with latest repos etc. Cause the wiki page has repos from 2017, and the downloadable ISO has ones from sometime in 2018...So they're not updated Repo list "out of box" ISO I just downloaded today/yesterday or whatever. Then when I did get key errors, I tried running those things from the wiki to fix it... And I didn't think I had to use Arch "fixes" for Artix, cause I assumed Artix had it's own repos only. Sorry for confusion and sarcasm etc... Sorry for sounding like a smart ass dick to you or anyone else. 

Reply #28

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't know you had to run that 
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman-key --init
first, then the repopulate command second. See, it would be nice if this was in Wiki, so users do this before trying to update/upgrade things.

This was the cause of your troubles, self made.
Nous referred to this when he said, you lack some basic knowledge.
Thing is, you chose to do a manual "classic" install, which is perfectly fine, and the very same steps need to be taken regarding keyring.

The error is documented on this very thread by yourself, being aggressively uhm sarcastic is perhaps not the right approach if you made an error.

Reply #29
Yep that was after struggling twice with two installations, to do upgrades because of key errors. And if you download the ISO now and try installing it in a Virtual Machine the Artix repo list isn't right/updated to latest one. You'll get key errors too... so hence me going to wiki and doing those key commands to try and "Fix" things. But it only made it worse, I did the commands based on the issue I was having at time. Running those commands was actually a last resort if possible. And I didn't modify the file with updated Artix repos until after Nous pointed it out.. cause the one linked on wiki gave a 404 so I didn't have access to the updated repo list. The one in wiki is from 2017, the ones in downloaded ISO are from Sept/Oct 2018 or maybe Dec 2018 and aren't "latest and greatest"... I got it installed now though LOL!

Can you approve this post and last post, cause no one else can see them but you all... it looks like you and him are talking to a ghost lol.