Skip to main content
Topic: Libvirtd for runit? (Read 2686 times) previous topic - next topic

Libvirtd for runit?

It doesn't seem like a service for libvirtd is created on runit. I may be missing it, but its clearly not in /etc/runit/sv. I might have to right it myself, can someone key me in on what to do maybe?

Man I miss having the Void Linux forum as a resource too!  :(

Re: Libvirtd for runit?

Reply #1
Hello,
the packages in Artix are divided in 2 parts. Main package for application (program) and init script packages for different init systems.
The package with init script is not installed when you install main package.
You need to install it manually:
Code: [Select]
pacman -S libvirt-runit

to see all runit init script you simply run (there will be a little bit of spam but this is easiest way I can think of):
pacman -Ss runit

From wiki:
Installation of services
runit service packages are named package_name-runit and, when installed, will be available in /etc/runit/sv.

Reply #2
Hello, thanks for the reply, that did work. Sorry for not getting back to you, I think I wrote this at like 5am the night before flying out to Mexico, I couldn't even remember what libvirt was when I realized I'd left some posts on the forum. Vm manager works now so that should get my vm up and running, and I'll remember that the init scripts aren't always installed, but they are usually in the repo appended with -runit.

Reply #3
Hello, thanks for the reply, that did work. Sorry for not getting back to you, I think I wrote this at like 5am the night before flying out to Mexico, I couldn't even remember what libvirt was when I realized I'd left some posts on the forum. Vm manager works now so that should get my vm up and running, and I'll remember that the init scripts aren't always installed, but they are usually in the repo appended with -runit.

Sorry to keep resurrecting old threads. But I am facing a problem with libvirt with runit.
It seems virtlogd is not configured with runit leading to problems initializing any virtual machine running KVM/QEMU, with the error below:
Failed to connect socket to '/run/libvirt/virtlogd-sock': No such file or directory

I took a look at the runit service entry for libvirtd and the log service doesn't launch virtlogd.
As a temporary solution for now, I launch virtlogd separately as a deamon, but I guess this should be implemented on runit service level, right?
sudo virtlogd -d

Reply #4
Although it has been a while, it may be helpful for future readers who encounter the same problem to find the solution here.

You need to enable and start the virtlogd daemon:

1. kill virtlogd:

sudo killall virtlogd

2. Enable the virtlogd service:

sudo ln -s /etc/runit/sv/virtlogd /run/runit/service

3. Start the virtlogd service:

sudo sv start virtlogd

4. Check the status: