Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: is pacman upgrade necessary to perform?? (Read 3179 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: is pacman upgrade necessary to perform??

Reply #15
okay well, same problem happens ;). so it may be linux firmware or kernel
right now im performing full upgrade and not care about unstable net to be fair... but if im annoyed again im gonna delete all this and reinstall and never upgrade any package.

have a nice day

Reply #16
for some reason i performed Syu today and i used internet for 2 hours and had no problems so far ;//
it's weird maybe it's because i did Syu and not Syyu?? i don't know but it's fine at the moment, so i shouldnt be such a negative and arrogant prick.
and sorry for spamming so much, thanks for helping me with this, but it seems like the problem has disappeared... ;(

Reply #17
The -Sy stands for synchronizing your database with what is newer in the repository/mirror.  Once you run it and it is synchronized if you run it again it doesn't change.  If you run -Syy it will download from the repository anyway and overwrite your db.  The end result should still be the same.  -Su is for Upgrading any installed package with a newer one that is available.  So running -Sy and then -Su is the same as running -Syu or -Suy.  If you change mirrors you should run -Syy because there may be a chance that there may be something older in the new mirror.

There may have been a discrepancy in the firmware between the ones in the installer that was diagnosed and reported to arch (by someone who could diagnose it) and it is now fixed.    It may have been the linux-firmware pkg and it had changed from the shift from 4.19 to 4.20.  You will never know now, and since you are ok forget it.

Reply #18
so you're saying that somebody localized and and fixed it yesterday???

if yes, then it took them quite long :P. over a month?? i think i installed artix in start of december...
anyways it's nice now. so cool

Reply #19
i still get these annoying issues... cant play steam games because of this ;//
i created a topic about it on arch linux forum (it all started on artix)
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1829697
i also put dmesg logs there...

wonder if for some reason it's gonna get fixed somehow ;//

Reply #20
That will get dust binned quicksmart as soon as mods find out you are using artix i think? They willonly support arch linux systemd installed by their methods, i wouldnt even bother trying over there.

Reply #21
hahah, yeah they already deleted it xD.
well i found some stuff on internet and basically it seems like bug its related to ath10k that i have in this laptop and intel cpu kaby lake series cuz people were having similar problems to mine
somebody put as a solution toe dit grub.cfg and add line pci=noaer or nomsi
i edited it added pci=noaer and gonna find if that helped... usually if something is wrong and i play games on steam i get no user logon after about 5 minutes.

i had mess in grub.cfg...
Code: [Select]
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=that had mess
now i have that:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=noaer"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="text pci=noaer"
and it is pretty stable now it is atm like after i install artix lxqt before i perform full upgrade.
it seems like something during upgrade on arch distros does mess to grub.cfg
but its ok now i think gonna report if its not, but so far its very stable and good.
looking at dmesg errors helped me to find an error

Reply #22
What are your system specs cynicfm, i mean what sort of computer hardware are you using?

Maybe install a program called inxi and do below command and post it.

Inxi is a great CLI system information tool, its not packaged by arch linux but artix do have it packaged up so you dont have to go to AUR for it.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/inxi/

inxi -F

Reply #23
if i check dmesg i have this error:
[ 3499.460338] pcieport 0000:00:1d.3: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, (Transmitter ID)                                    
[ 3499.460341] pcieport 0000:00:1d.3:   device [8086:9d1b] error status/mask=00001000/00002000                                                     
[ 3499.460347] pcieport 0000:00:1d.3:    [12] Timeout
and it seems like changing something in grub.cfg didnt fix it ;/.

inxi -F
System:
  Host: zalew Kernel: 4.20.6-artix1-1-ARTIX x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: LXQt 0.13.0 Distro: Artix rolling
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire F5-573G v: V1.18
  serial: NXGD4EP013702125AD7600
  Mobo: Acer model: Captain_SK v: V1.18 serial: NBGD811005702125AD7600
  UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: 1.18 date: 10/21/2016
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 32.2 Wh condition: 32.2/41.4 Wh (78%)
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-7200U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
  L2 cache: 3072 KiB
  Speed: 729 MHz min/max: 400/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800
  2: 800 3: 800 4: 800
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce 940MX] driver: nvidia v: 415.27
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting
  unloaded: fbdev,intel,vesa resolution: <xdpyinfo missing>
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.20.6-artix1-1-ARTIX
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
  driver: ath10k_pci
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 58:00:e3:98:2e:03
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
  driver: r8169
  IF: enp4s0f1 state: down mac: a8:1e:84:35:b6:ee
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 116.62 GiB (12.5%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
  size: 931.51 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 25.51 GiB used: 7.92 GiB (31.1%) fs: ext4
  dev: /dev/sda9
  ID-2: /home size: 191.25 GiB used: 96.49 GiB (50.5%) fs: ext4
  dev: /dev/sda6
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 3.87 GiB used: 102.2 MiB (2.6%) fs: swap
  dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 175 Uptime: 1h 01m Memory: 3.72 GiB
  used: 739.1 MiB (19.4%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.26

i dont know why that happens. when i get into artix everything is perfect and amazing for about ten or fifteen minutes. then again, steam losts connection. cant browse internet unless i type dhcpcd wlp3s0 in terminal again then it will be ok just for a moment and then more and more resolve problems :((
im clueless its tirying ;///

ok i found solution and its ok now
i basically type in terminal
watch -n1 -x dhcpcd wlp3s0
and internet its ok now ;). it only will connect me to it every one second but i can play all games and browse it comfortably now.
still i dont know whats causing the issue though ;)

Reply #24
I'm not sure what you use to connect to the net as standard, as Google isn't showing me a package list for the latest iso's and there isn't one on the download page, but I guess it could be networkmanager. So it's possible that using dhcpd directly is an alternative way to connect, and it's conflicting with networkmanager, which is why you have to keep re-issuing the dhcpcd command. So you could fix the networkmanager issues or delete it and set up dhcpcd, or try wicd, or something else...
I've had something for a long while now using just dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant and an Intel wireless card, occasionally I get a 'slow' connection. disconnecting and reconnecting, sometimes a number of times seems to get rid of it usually although very occasionally trying again later is needed. Sometimes I connect and it starts out OK but gets slow after a couple of minutes, restarting the browser and wireless might give a short spell of faster access before it slows again, or clears up. But is that ISP throttling or my OS, or the wireless using G not N? And I don't always get routed through the same server when I make a connection, perhaps retrying gets a less busy one sometimes.

Reply #25
yeah i have something similar as well but for me its like it slows to the point where it will say cannot resolve 10000 miliseconds when i use pacman or in web browser err resoultion failed
and i dont think its just networkmanager because i already deleted it and i use only dhcpcd but i have command here watch -n3 -x dhcpcd wlp3s0 and it makes connection every 3 seconds and its ok. sometimes i have to type dhcpcd as well

but i also installed arch linux and i had the same issue there and my first connection to internet was using dhcpcd and after installing xfce i had same issues couldnt really web browse cuz resolution errors
having same issues on manjaro too i have manjaro with openbox (systemd as well). same errors happen

but on mint or devuan everything is ok. i have no idea what's causing the issue though. at the moment i turned off watch command and internet seems to be ok for now but it doesnt last forever

Reply #26
I expect your issue is different, as my occasional slow connection has been there since I got this hardware perhaps 9 or 10 months ago, which has not really caused much trouble anyway, so the difference when you upgrade must be another thing. You can downgrade individual packages sometimes when a problem occurs, if the version dependencies allow, or install the lts kernel instead of the regular one, to try and isolate the problem. But it's more difficult guessing the troublesome one if you are upgrading everything after a fresh install, rather than just a few packages on a regular update, and it might be difficult downgrading a long way back too.

Reply #27
yeah my internet is okay for 5 minutes then basically if i wanna get onto another website then basically it hangs load for a minute then err resolution failed
if i pacman -syu i get 10000 miliseconds something blablabla

i didnt find fix but i found solution now everytime i turn my computer on and wanna go on internet i realised that when it hangs if i type dhcpcd wlp3s0 it will connect me to website. so i type watch -n3 (3 seconds) -x dhcpcd wlp3s0 and it will type that command in terminal every 3 seconds and now internet hasnt got any flaw or anything it runs like it's desired to run. ;)