Skip to main content
Topic: Unable to boot from live dvd to desktop (Read 3265 times) previous topic - next topic

Unable to boot from live dvd to desktop

I had acquired a Dell computer from work which has Windows 10 on it.  It is a BIOS based PC not UEFI. When trying to boot the pc using the live dvd of Artix that I had created it produced the following error:
Code: [Select]
mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/ARTIX_201810' to ' run/artix/bootmnt'
Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ARTIX_201810 ...
ERROR /dev/disk/by-label/ARTIX_201810' device did not show up after 30 seconds
Falling back to interactive prompt
can't access tty; job control turned off

I know that ARTIX_201810 is the name of the disk label. When using the command
ls /dev/disk/by-label
no file or directory called ARTIX_201810 exists only live-uefi live-usb System Windows 

Re: Unable to boot from live dvd to desktop

Reply #1
I think there are 2 boot options at GRUB? Boot from CD/DVD/ISO and boot from Stick/HDD or something? Have you tried both?
If so, make sure some other BIOS settings are not preventing Artix live medium from booting. Have you tried with dd'ing the ISO image to a usb stick?

Reply #2
When the Dell splash screen comes up you could use F12 to get a boot menu.  If a valid cd/dvd medium is found it will be on the list of disks, hdd, ch/dvd, usb, etc.  If you select the dvd and it is not booting then the image is not written correctly.  If options don't come up with F12 that means bios is preventing you to boot from external media.
There may be more than one options on bios to allow boot from media other than HD, one for prioritizing boot CD/USB/HDD but different editions of bios have different arrangements.

How are you running "ls"  if it is only windows on?
What about ls /dev/disk/by-uuid  will that give you more disks?  If the disk doesn't have a label it will not show up in "by-label"

Reply #3
If you are coming from windows i hear the program Etcher is quite good at copying iso files to usb.

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Reply #4
Update:

Have sinced swapped the hard disk with the one I had used previously on another PC that died. The previous hard disk had already had installed a copy of Artix Linux alongside Windows 7. I am now running Artix on this Dell pc.  Windows 7 won't boot though, I'm thinking because Windows has detected different hardware.  The Windows 7 repair disk that I had created many months ago doesn't work.  Not sure that I want to fix Windows 7, but the best way is to re-install it making sure that I back up everything first.

Anyone know of a snapshot utility that I can use for both the Artix partition and Windows partition?

Reply #5
I've used clonezilla to transfer a windows installation to another disk, successfully. It's free, open-source and supports many operating systems.

Reply #6
If your artix is in a large partition that has lots of free space you can shrink it to like 110% of used.  Then I use dd and bzip2 to make an image. 
# dd bs=4M if=/dev/sdx** | bzip2 -9f >/yourbackupdirectory/backupimg.img.bz2 ; sync

but you have to boot from a different system to backup the partition.  When you restore you have to make sure the partition is equal or larger than what you backed up. 
# bunzip2 </yourbackupdirectory/backupimg.img.bz2 | dd of=/dev/sdy** ; sync
sdx** is your source partition name sdy** will be your target for restoring. 
Run a check on the partition when you finish so the remaining free space of the partition will be formatted properly.  The UUID remains the same, but grub will have to be reconfigured if say it came from sda3 and now it is on sdb6. 
Also if you used fstab to mount other partitions on that disk you have to comment them out as they might not appear on the new disk and you will run into booting errors.
This should be done either in root shell or you have to add sudo in front of dd.
This is what I have used for years and it has been 100% reliable for me.

Reply #7
I'm still having the same problem booting up from a live DVD.

Here are the details of my system.
System:    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18.1_x64 Continuum March 14  2018
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 745 v: N/A serial: <filter>
           Mobo: Dell model: 0GX297 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: 2.3.1 date: 05/21/2007
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 6300 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom
           rev: 2 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 7442
           Speed: 1850 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1850 2: 1851
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:02.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel resolution: 1440x900~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965Q v: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.6 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801H HD Audio vendor: Dell OptiPlex 745 driver: snd_hda_intel
           v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-1-amd64
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
           vendor: Dell OptiPlex 745 driver: tg3 v: 3.137 port: ecd0 bus ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           IF-ID-1: usb0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 698.64 GiB used: 24.33 GiB (3.5%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HDS721075CLA332 size: 698.64 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 338.06 GiB used: 24.33 GiB (7.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.75 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
           1: deb http://mxlinux.mirrors.uk2.net/packages/antix/stretch stretch main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
           1: deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
           1: deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
           2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list
           1: deb http://mxlinux.mirrors.uk2.net/packages/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list
           1: deb http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/ stable main
Info:      Processes: 173 Uptime: 1m Memory: 3.78 GiB used: 733.8 MiB (19.0%) Init: SysVinit
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.29

Reply #8
Did you hit F12 after the Dell bios sign comes up?  Then you choose boot cd/dvd (I believe it is option c, 1 should be your hard drive).  If those options don't come up you have to go to Bios settings, boot options and select cd/dvd allowed to boot.  If you set boot order cd/dvd first you don't have to use F12, it will boot automatically from dvd if a bootable one is in there, if not it wall go to 2nd option, then third and so on.  I have a GX755 I can't imagine being that different.

Reply #9
Did you hit F12 after the Dell bios sign comes up?  Then you choose boot cd/dvd (I believe it is option c, 1 should be your hard drive).  If those options don't come up you have to go to Bios settings, boot options and select cd/dvd allowed to boot.  If you set boot order cd/dvd first you don't have to use F12, it will boot automatically from dvd if a bootable one is in there, if not it wall go to 2nd option, then third and so on.  I have a GX755 I can't imagine being that different.
Yes I did press F12 to display the boot menu and selected the CD/DVD option.

It will load grub with the various options but after I select the boot from DVD it attempts and fails to boot giving the error as quoted in my first post.

I think there must be something wrong with the pc itself because I have also tried to boot from a live DVD of PCLinuxOS and that fails as well.

I have looked in the BIOS but cannot see anything in BIOS that would prevent booting up from DVD or USB.  This PC has BIOS not UEFI with secure boot.  I have had BIOS based PC's in the past and never have I had an issue with booting from a live DVD.

Reply #10
Do you have a USB stick (possibly a usb2 as the 745 doesn't have usb3 ) and try it with usb.  It might be the dvd player that is faulty and doesn't read well.  Since you have antix on it and it is bootable burn the iso into the usb stick using dd.

Reply #11
Do you have a USB stick (possibly a usb2 as the 745 doesn't have usb3 ) and try it with usb.  It might be the dvd player that is faulty and doesn't read well.  Since you have antix on it and it is bootable burn the iso into the usb stick using dd.

I burnt it to a USB stick using the dd command and it was able to boot.  So there must be something not quite right with the DVD RW drive.  As I mainly use the PC for creating DVD's I've decided to scrap the Dell PC and go back to the Packard Bell(end) PC.  The only thing I don't like about the Packard Bell(end) PC is the processor it uses
Topology: Dual Core model: AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics bits: 64 type: MCP 
           L2 cache: 1024 KiB
           Speed: 1219 MHz min/max: 800/1400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 799

Just look at the speed.

Reply #12
So you were able to boot and install artix on that 745, right?  I am glad we got the problem diagnosed then.
Can't you swap the dvd player from one to another?  Are they full desktops or sff?

I have heard that some cleaning of the glass laser eye might fix problems it has reading/writing, if it is not a mechanical failure.  There is usually a hole on the underside of the drive straight to the glass eye and with a q-tip and some alcohol (it is is in fact glass and not synthetic) or some contact lense cleaning solution.

You can also install a minimal server system on that hp/amd and have the dvd mounted at boot, then use it for burning dvd's.  Look up sshfs

I bought a cheap box with Phenom X4 listed as 3200Mhz, which is actually 4x800Mhz
But AMD usually boot up using less ram and somehow linux likes running on AMD better than Intel.  Maybe less firmware blobs hidden in the CPU.