Skip to main content
Topic: how is math related to computing?? (Read 1525 times) previous topic - next topic

how is math related to computing??

hey

i am very beginner with computers and i mean linux i never knew how to code and i always heard that you need to know maths well and all this kind to write using programming languages uhm like lua python or whatever.
how is math related to using computer i mean why it guys need to be good at maths, like atm. to use simple linux commands or some basic bash scripting (im not sure though) i doesnt seem like i need math

so what's the connection of mathematics and programming languages??? Any examples??? :)

Re: how is math related to computing??

Reply #1
you need to know maths well and all this kind to write using programming languages uhm like lua python or whatever.
how is math related to using computer i mean why it guys need to be good at maths, like atm. to use simple linux commands or some basic bash scripting (im not sure though) i doesnt seem like i need math
For programming in general math is not directly needed (however being good in math may significantly simplify programming because you may realize better algorithm for doing something). For example, looking through suckless code i don't remember any math operations there
When you realise some algorith for data processing you may need to prove that your algorith is correct and provides correct result or, if not, estimate the deviation. This is usual task for machine leaning and math modeling
ARMtix

Reply #2
In this age math is mostly needed when you are working on some simulations, games, graphical things (geometry) or to optimize o your code as phoenix above said.

Some time ago I found a channel on YouTube in which the man is explaining some algorithms when it comes to basic graphic engines.
A lot of times it is basic math but it slowly adds up...
Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-yuWVUplUJZvieEligKBkA

Reply #3
hey

i am very beginner with computers and i mean linux i never knew how to code and i always heard that you need to know maths well and all this kind to write using programming languages uhm like lua python or whatever.

so what's the connection of mathematics and programming languages??? Any examples??? :)

A good place to start is base number systems or Radix, for example binary code uses the base/radix 2 numeral system. Most common is  base 10 decimal which we all use everyday for arithmetic/mechanical counters.