Skip to main content
Topic: hang on boot when launching syslog-ng (Read 4628 times) previous topic - next topic

hang on boot when launching syslog-ng

TL;DR:
I'm experiencing a "boot hang" when launching syslog-ng. System was installed from artix-lxqt-openrc-20181008-x86_64.iso and updated using pacman -Syyu.
System itself runs fine when the hang is canceled by hitting Ctrl+C multiple times.
----

Short introduction of myself, as this is my first post:
I`ve been using Linux for some years now, my current main system is Manjaro - so you might guess what took me here: having the Arch-Style without systemd. :)
I know a bit about Linux in general, but i'm completely new to Artix or OpenRC.

I've installed Artix on my test system from the artix-lxqt-openrc-20181008-x86_64.iso and updated it to the latest version. Despite a small issue during boot everything runs fine and is looking nice. :)

Currently, the system "hangs" during boot. At this point, hitting Ctrl+C several times makes the boot process go further.
20190210_135540.jpg

I than can login to LXQt and everything (including networking) is fine.

Searching around a bit i came across this topic, which seemed to describe the same problem. On my system syslog-ng was already installed and active, adding syslog-ng-openrc did not change anything.
So i thought the issue might be, that syslog-ng starts after NetworkManager and added i dependency in /etc/init.d/NetworkManager:
Code: [Select]
        use consolekit elogind syslog-ng

This led to the behavior, that now boot hangs upon syslog-ng Config Check:
20190210_145318.jpg

So i went straight forward and commented the config check out of /etc/init.d/syslog-ng :
#syslog-ng -s -f "${SYSLOG_NG_CONFIGFILE}"

Now the boot process hangs on launching syslog-ng itself (no screen photo of that).

I appreciate every hint whats gone wrong with this installation and why syslog-ng wont launch on itself in a reasonable amount of time.

kind regards
guzzisti

Re: hang on boot when launching syslog-ng

Reply #1
What is "SYSLOG_NG_CONFIGFILE" in your configuration and does this file exist?
ARMtix

Reply #2
As seen in the second "screen photo", this variable resolves to /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf - this file exists:
$ ls -l /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3661 30. Dez 03:54 /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf

I have not messed with this one after installation. :)

Reply #3
Do you get the same behaviour if you set rc_parallel="YES" in /etc/rc.conf?

Reply #4
Behaviour stays the same. I disabled syslog-ng using rc-update delete syslog-ng default and the boot does not hang up albeit the nm-dispatcher message still show up - which makes me tend to believe that NetworkManager is not the issue.
Manually starting syslog-ng from a terminal after boot works without any hassle.

If installed Artix in a virtual machine as well, there i see the nm-dispatcher messages as well, but the boot process does not get stuck. Maybe i should compare the configs of the vm and my test machine to see if there's any difference.

I'm thinking about doing a fresh install from the base-iso on my test machine to see if this might change something.

Reply #5
thinking about doing a fresh install from the base-iso on my test machine to see if this might change something.

I think that's not necessary.

Please kick out or disable in syslog-ng.conf
use_dns()

and try again.

Reply #6
Thanks for your reply artoo, but dns was already disabled:
$ cat /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf | grep use_dns
  use_dns (no);

Nevertheless your post pointed me to back to the direction "networking", digging a bit in the internet made me across this older gentoo bugreport: https://bugs.gentoo.org/228973#c34
So i added the an additional dependency in syslog-ng script:
$ cat /etc/init.d/syslog-ng | grep net
        need hostname localmount net

No everything is fine. Seems like the network interface on this machine needs 1 or 2 seconds to come up after NetworkManager is started, getting into a race with syslog-ng startup.

Gonna install Artix on my laptop now...  ;D

Re: [Solved] hang on boot when launching syslog-ng

Reply #7
Another possible cause we discussed with artoo on the IRC, was the absence of uucp group. If you're missing that group, it might be the reason for syslog-ng's behaviour. Latest filesystem and opensysusers fix that. Anyway, marking this as [SOLVED].

Reply #8
I can confirm that this has been an issue on my main server as well.  I so rarely reboot, I didn't notice.  It hangs long and hard.  I'm talking 4 minutes.

Reply #9
i can confirm this is still an issue as well

Reply #10
Unmarking. I had witnessed it too, but now it works in all my boxes without stalling. Let's find out what's causing it, people!

Reply #11
Don't know if this is any evidence, but to this only happens on my hardware machines, mostly AMD Trinity or Carrizo based.
A vm installation in virtualbox doesn't stall on boot.

Reply #12
yes i'm on AMD

also another strange behavior i observe is that if i hit 'enter' a couple of times when booting it passes the error and
starts sddm, i don't know if that is an OpenRC feature or ?

Reply #13
FWIW - my box is intel

============ start debug info ============
libhd version 21.59u (x86-64) [7688]
using /var/lib/hardware
kernel version is 4.19
----- /proc/cmdline -----
  BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts root=UUID=acadd176-e695-491c-8744-90942bc7a89f rw net.ifnames=0 quiet resume=UUID=94ad1e46-b617-4863-975b-af0044716bb3
----- /proc/cmdline end -----
debug = 0xff7ffff7
probe = 0x15938fcdaa17fcf9fffe (+memory +pci +isapnp +net +floppy +misc +misc.serial +misc.par +misc.floppy +serial +cpu +bios +monitor +mouse +scsi +usb -usb.mods +modem +modem.usb +parallel +parallel.lp +parallel.zip -isa -isa.isdn +isdn +kbd +prom +sbus +int +braille +braille.alva +braille.fhp +braille.ht -ignx11 +sys -bios.vbe -isapnp.old -isapnp.new -isapnp.mod +braille.baum -manual +fb +pppoe -scan +pcmcia +fork -parallel.imm +s390 +cpuemu -sysfs -s390disks +udev +block +block.cdrom +block.part +edd +edd.mod -bios.ddc -bios.fb -bios.mode +input +block.mods +bios.vesa -cpuemu.debug -scsi.noserial +wlan -bios.crc -hal +bios.vram +bios.acpi -bios.ddc.ports=0 +modules.pata -net.eeprom +x86emu=dump -max -lxrc)
shm: attached segment 32768 at 0x7ff2ceeea000
>> hal.1: read hal data
>> floppy.1: get nvram
>> floppy.2: klog info
>> bios.1: cmdline
>> bios.1.1: apm
>> bios.2: ram
  bios: 0 disks
>> bios.2: rom
>> bios.3: smp
----- BIOS data end -----
>> bios.4: vbe
>> bios.4.1: vbe info
=== bios setup ===
failed to read /dev/mem
x86emu: could not init vm
>> bios.5: 32
>> bios.6: acpi
>> sys.1: cpu
  hypervisor check: 0
  vm check: vm_1 = 0, vm_2 = 0
  is_vmware = 0, has_vmware_mouse = 0
>> misc.9: kernel log
>> misc.1: misc data
>> misc.1.1: open serial
>> misc.1.2: open parallel
51: None 00.0: 10103 CPU                                                                                                                                                 
  [Created at cpu.462]                                                                                                                                                 
  Unique ID: rdCR.j8NaKXDZtZ6                                                                                                                                            
  Hardware Class: cpu                                                                                                                                              
  Arch: X86-64                                                                                                                         
  Vendor: "GenuineIntel"                                                                                                                                                 
  Model: 6.58.9 "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3517UE CPU @ 1.70GHz"                                                                                                              
  Features: fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,mca,cmov,pat,ps                                                                                          e36,clflush,dts,acpi,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,ss,ht,tm,pbe,syscall,nx,rdtscp,lm,constan                                                                                          t_tsc,arch_perfmon,pebs,bts,rep_good,nopl,xtopology,nonstop_tsc,cpuid,aperfmperf                                                                                          ,pni,pclmulqdq,dtes64,monitor,ds_cpl,vmx,smx,est,tm2,ssse3,cx16,xtpr,pdcm,pcid,s                                                                                          se4_1,sse4_2,x2apic,popcnt,tsc_deadline_timer,aes,xsave,avx,f16c,rdrand,lahf_lm,                                                                                          cpuid_fault,epb,pti,tpr_shadow,vnmi,flexpriority,ept,vpid,fsgsbase,smep,erms,xsa                                                                                          veopt,dtherm,ida,arat,pln,pts                                                                                                                                            
  Clock: 1663 MHz                                                                                                                                  
  BogoMips: 4389.78                                                                                                                                        
  Cache: 4096 kb                                                                                                                               
  Units/Processor: 16                                                                                                                                              
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown                                                                                                             

Reply #14
Hello, I allow myself to answer this forum because I have a similar concern,

I hope someone will give an answer because syslog takes longer to start