Skip to main content
Topic: how can you contribute to artix and linux?? (Read 1953 times) previous topic - next topic

how can you contribute to artix and linux??

Hey

I am new to linux and newbie with computers however last year i made a decision to ditch windows 10 and i am on artix now ;). and i really enjoy it. i remember when i was on ubuntu in 2013 was it before it adopted systemd?? now artix gives me similar vibe but better.
i'm getting myself into libre games at the moment, i have downloaded supertux supertuxkart teeworld hedgewars freeciv ;). i have very nice joypad too so i play tux games with it and i enjoy it. I come from corporation made games for windows and it's suddenly change of environment for me because i played games that were typical time killers and time wasters too.

However as i said i am new to linux and i don't know what to do here. Internet is so blazing fast everything is very quick and fast too, as somebody who comes from windows this is like colossal change. Few days ago i had a dream that i install windows 10 and i use it haha. As i am not on windows now and i don't play these time killer games, my time goes very slowly now. I keep thinking should i install windows 10 and play some popular online game and kill time but i am like not really it's not worth it.
Teeworlds and hedgewars come from community repositories, but isn't that arch repository?? I understand that if it is i could try with pkgbuilds them for artix but i don't really know how.

I am amazed how everything different is and then in the same time very lost because i am used to world of too much choice, but stuff i can get on artix is limited (not in a bad way of course!!!). Not like it's related to Artix itself more like to what's happening with stuff like games, like i decided to get rid of steam account and blizzard (from diablo 3) as well. And it's funny enough because i stopped used windows to find better system for diablo 3 (windows update and windows search used too much resources). I wanted to get on linux to play diablo 3 on it, but now because i have used artix for few months i decided that i am not gonna bother with it and start get used to pure linux stuff (like playing games that doesn't need wine for windows although i have lots of single player games to complete :)) so what i mean by this is pure open source and libre games.
But what i can't do here anymore is what i used to do on windows and other in the past is to play these mmorpgs that just kill my time so much. And now when i don't play them i am very bored and i have got massive amounts of free time too and at the moment when i am on Artix i only browse internet to read stuff or play some single player games (those that dont require internet connection).
But apart from learning how linux operates, how to install distributions, how to learn stuff like perhaps writing scripts or pkgbuilds or learn how to code for example is there anything that amateur and new linux like myself can make linux or just artix grow i mean like make it have more available options and much more choices for somebody like me who just stopped using windows and suddenly finds himself in linux environment :-).

Thank you if you made it reading it to the end.

Re: how can you contribute to artix and linux??

Reply #1
Hi, for artix there are 2 topics:

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,508.0.html

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,512.0.html

Of course, you can donates some £ instead of pay for games, and become more useful for your community:
https://artixlinux.org/donate.php

more, to contribute to freesoftwres:
https://fsfe.org/contribute/contribute.en.html

PS. one thing I cannot understand how you get and that massive amounts of free time ? is your life only about playing games? what do you do for living?  are you satisfied?!!!  "very bored" is for  people who do not know what is life is. Look around you and you sould see someone who want to pay a wealth to get "small amount of free time" (did you experience the joy of helping people? :) )
Keep it Simple. Simple is Secure, Simple is Beautiful.

Reply #2
Yeah i read about servers and pkgbuilds however i haven't got i7 pc only i5-7200u.
and pkgbuilds is something unknown too because i haven't got idea how to do this.

i don't really pay for games now, i only play game called runescape this is the only exception from windows corporate proprietary games and windows single player games but i decided to stop playing games that need internet connection, 3rd party client or even registered account to be played (runescape is the only exception though).
I haven't got much money as well. ;).

I used to play games all the time few years ago, like 16 hours a day everyday ;). I haven't got to worry about bills or food at the moment, it's not so bad for me these days but it always can get worse so you know... but... that's the thing, apart from seeing my friends or whatever i have got lots of free time, the reason why is many years ago i decided i am never gonna get a job, work or go to uni and study, cuz it's not for me, commitment and stuff. So today i sleep as much as i want, and i do what i want all day. Of course it has it's downsides because i am unemployed so whenever i have like change money like 5 pounds or 10, i treat it as 500 pounds or 1000 ;). So i can't buy new computers, get wired internet so i can learn how to install gentoo. (i dont think i wanna even bother with wireless and my laptop wireless card).
Saying this i have lots of free time to do lots of things on the computer but as i am amateur and know like nothing about linux, i can't really tell what it is... In the past everytime i was turning the computer on i was then playing games on windows. Right now i turn computer on i check email i go on some forums well i can play some libre games, and that's it. And i am very happy with artix because it is very fast quick and amazing, and i love my laptop now, but it's hard for me to occupy my time here like i had it with playing windows games in the past, like 10 hours gone in 5 seconds. Being on artix is like 5 seconds is like 10 hours. But i decided playing these games is rather selfish and i'd rather use my computer so others can benefit from it too, not just me that i kill time and corproates that earn millions or billions of dollars because people like me play their games.
So i feel when im on artix i feel like i want something more than just enjoying it...

Yesterday i met my friend whos got iPad some new one, and we went on one website and speed of browsing was the same like it was on iPad but this device also has safari browser and that has lots of advertisements and weird stuff, artix has falkon that has ad block... I wish i could convince other people to stop bother with windows on their laptops, with buying ipads for internet or even smartphones, and bought themselves some laptop (if for internet) and install artix on it or for games pc with amd ryzen and amd and install artix on it too... but whole 'gaming society' that play these popular newest games are on systemd distributions and they dont seem like they wanna change it anyways. I also think people who are on windows 10 devices don't know what they miss....
I tell everybody i know at the moment that i use some artix linux and my laptop is so fast and so secure and it's just like a dream... I keep wondering if this good thing gonna end quickly, like artix gonna be not supported or whatever and i won't be able to use it or something ;/. I know there are distributions like Obarun, Hyperbola or Parabola, but the reason why i am on artix is because of gui installer... At the moment i know basics about how to install base system but it's a shame that it usually needs internet connection, but it's not like i have wired source at the moment so it's just different.

I should mention that i play drums and i also play music with people who call themselves musicians so hopefully maybe one day i am gonna have cash from it so i can buy and build custom pcs, buy laptops, or if i have like thousands of pounds that i dont need or more then give it to nice linux distros ;)). I am only 24 but who knows what will be happening in the future
edit1: ohh and of course if im ever gonna have this opportunity to create my home music studio, the choice is obvious - im not gonna use apple or windows stuff but linux stuff ;). So this is why linuxing is so interesting to me it also helps me with occupying my time better and being more productive that i have been before

Reply #3
Just a well meant advise, spend your spare time without all the technical toys that basically spy on on.
Try to have a day like your parents and grandparent had every day, go out in nature, enjoy nature, instead of staring at a mobile phone like a zombie.

Reply #4
Hey ;)

I go to nature lots, and i also don't have smartphone my only gadget is laptop with artix installed and playstation console that i dont really connect to internet on it ;). I don't even wanna have a smartphones, i know people who have it are like zombies hahah. And they kill their back all the time as well when they stare on it, i don't because i don't have one.
Not interested in buying apple or google products, i don't even use youtube, haven't been on it for months!!!

I have to say that artix helps me with being more productive and linux in general does that to me.

Reply #5
Hey ;)

I go to nature lots, and i also don't have smartphone my only gadget is laptop with artix installed and playstation console that i dont really connect to internet on it ;). I don't even wanna have a smartphones, i know people who have it are like zombies hahah. And they kill their back all the time as well when they stare on it, i don't because i don't have one.
Not interested in buying apple or google products, i don't even use youtube, haven't been on it for months!!!

I have to say that artix helps me with being more productive and linux in general does that to me.

Watch, it goes far beyond mobile phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hA6v2-mhcM

Reply #6
i am sorry i'm not watching youtube ;D.
no youtube no content no google ;D. I believe every video on youtube is brainwashing. I say no to corruption!! :D

Reply #7
i am sorry i'm not watching youtube ;D.
no youtube no content no google ;D. I believe every video on youtube is brainwashing. I say no to corruption!! :D

If I take a video of you playing music and put it on utube that would be brainwashing but buying or renting a Hollywood superhero video from the store down the street is not brainwashing?  What if it was a video on vimeo? 

A critical mind does not fear brainwashing.  Watch Brazil (1985), not on u-tube.

Reply #8

A critical mind does not fear brainwashing.  Watch Brazil (1985), not on u-tube.

It is a perfectly fine choice to remain ignorant.  ;)
Just don't come and whine, "no one has told me this".

Reply #9
i am allergic to google and it's thingies. I usually don't even fill google recaptcha.
Don't wanna be a customer of google. youtube and stuff doesn't exist for me.

edit: the fact is most of smartphones are google smartphones and youtube is google too. watching something about how bad google smartphones are on website owned by google doesn't make any sense to me. Same with watching boykott google videos that are on google's youtube :S.
I think world would be better if youtube hasn't existed and... cars :).

Reply #10
Oddly enough Google in reality is one of the bigger contributors to Linux and open source software in general, providing code, resources and hard cash on a scale equaled by few others. Like any big organization you can find good and bad in their actions. But how does that compare to those  who you don't hear about, because they do nothing at all?
https://opensource.google.com/
 Perhaps if you are bored you could try doing some music related things, there is a lot of free audio and video software about and you can do lots of stuff without spending anything, and make a new hit record! Reading man pages is always fun and there are lots of those to look at.
The 'flatpak' package (not tried it myself) supposedly lets you install lots of games and other things from 'flathub'.
https://flathub.org/home

I'm sure you will find useful things to do as you come across things you feel could be improved, and then learn ways to do so.

Reply #11
It's not like i hate google, because the company itself and creators i think it's very interesting and the way they expanded and blablabla is rather interesting than something to be hated, because i think everybody who creates a company would like to grow it so quickly. When they played movie about google in cinemas about 5 years ago with this blonde guy and vince something i went to see it. I had gmail on google and i had that feeling im doing right thing. However i deleted all my gmails already i had about 7 emails there. I used to listen to music on youtube all the time too...
I even bought one book about google in one of charity shops, called The Google Story by David A. Vise, read it as well... And perhaps they contributed to linux, not surprised. In this book they wrote that for google servers they didn't wanna use paid windows and use free open source linux instead. So if that powered google servers then not surprised, because they earnt all these hundreds millions thanks to linux at the beginning.
I think that if somebody makes so much cash using stuff like linux, somebody should charge this company extra for using it, lmao.

However, i am not buying this like google contributed to linux and open source, or valve that created steam contributes to linux as well, they support creation of graphics drivers (for games from steam platform in mind). Does that mean that because of this i should use steam and go google, i don't think so. It's like saying ikea is good and you should buy their products because they advertise that they save trees, but how many they killed already. But they don't advertise that companies like Ikea kill carpenter profession because their furniture is made by 10 years old kids in vietnam.

What i am trying to find out everyday is the reason why companies like google have hundreds of billions dollars and i have like 4 pounds at the moment. Or why everybody has to go shop in lidl because they sell 'cheap food' but owner of lidl is like 25$ billion. I don't really go to lidl i hate their 'food'. And supermarkets tomatoes nowadays are joke they're disgusting.

I used youtube for many years, played games on steam as well (i applied for account deletion). Am i happier or richer person, because i used it, no i am not. So i made that philosphy myself if producer is rich and customer is poor then it's crap product. I don't wanna use crap products. I wanna buy and use products that i know both me and producer gonna benefit from it. But for google or valve i am just like an ant or worm on this planet and they don't benefit very much if i use their services or not, because there are billions people like myself on this planet who go on youtube everyday and google.

So i decided i am gonna aim for avoding paying or using products that are owned by billionairies. I don't wanna waste my time watching some people on youtube. People cause me lots of mental pain and there are lots of assholes on internet nowadays this is what puts me off from being there. I only go on few forums nowadays and check e-mail that's it. I wanna get off the internet because it's filled with lots of people ugh.... Google was created to give information to people by using their search engines, bt because internet is filled with so many people nowadays, the information i find on it is bollocks, so much useless info. I decided i am not gonna try learn coding or whatever using guides on internet or books i bought from amazon. I have plenty of books to read that aren't related to coding or computers and i am happy with it. If i am gonna get hold of something related to computers then i am gonna read it and learn from it.

What i noticed that windows and corporates did to me is not having ability to know how to use computer without internet... like omg i havent got internet laptop is useless!!! i need internet!!! in the past all i needed was a laptop and sims 1 and no internet connection or whatever and i was stuck there for hours.
But artix to me at the moment is what Windows 98 was to me when i first got computer, it was like welcome to new world. It is same stuff for me i feel like i am on some completely brand new operation system here. I can install most of windows pc games i own using wine, i can download linux games from repositories. I don't need internet for it. I already installed lots of games. But it's like in the past when win98 was there and winxp you were able to go to the shop and buy nice stuff for it, physical media > games or even stuff like photoshop. But now unfortunately everything has been digitalized and without having internet connection you can do fk all on the computer (at least that's my case). Internet is full of people that wanna make money all the time on everybody and everywhere too. Everywhere you go somebody benefits from it while i just get useless information and waste my time. Advertisements, watch youtubers, subscribe for content, making money making money, play games owned by chinese corporations. This is another zombie thing apart from using smartphones and stare like zombies is everybody has to think the same way and do the same things is make money make money make money, nothing else matters on this planet anymore. I don't know why people act this way make money, i go on internet and read about billionairies then i think they made so much money already why do i need to be another person that makes money???

edit: oh yeah. well i have got bass guitar ;). i may try and get some nice audio interface for linux and my friend has got midi keeyboard too, if i get these two things ill be able to start record and have lots of fun ;). electric drumkit would be nice too but it will be ok. there was flatpak when i was on linuxmint. i am gonna try it, thanks ;)

Reply #12
hey :-)

well my friend bought himself a laptop not long time ago and of course it has windows 10. We both play game called old school runescape and also we use open source client for it called RuneLite. While i downloaded it as .jar file, so i open it using a command java -jar RuneLite.jar --mode=OFF. However this runelite thing is also available on flatpak ;). And i convinced my friend to try linux like i was saying internet is super fast here, he never used linux so i don't wanna tell him that he has to use command like myself for example watch -n3 -x dhcpcd wlp3s0. Hopefully his acer laptop (yeh we both have acers) wont have resolve problems like i do. I think it is possible to install artix alongside windows 10, isn't it??

Well he plays games on steam but he hasn't got nvidia optimus like i have, he's got some nvidia geforce 130mx i think so perhaps im gonna try how this gpu performs with closed source graphics ;D. Of course i am gonna install artix on it, but i told him that he can use windows 10 for these steam games but we both play this game old school runescape and artix is perfect for this. So im going to poland at the end of this month so when i meet him on april i am gonna try and then install artix on his laptop and there will be another artix user ;). I am gonna show him how faster everything is here compared to win10.
But well i am pretty sure i'll be able to see how this nvidia gpu performs on artix so its gonna be interesting ;).

Thank you people.
I hope that it will be possible to install artix alongside windows 10 and have a choice list in menu. I think it's possible??

And my another friend you know i was telling him how amazing linux is too. He's been using some windows 10 s but he recently bought himself a new laptop, he's new to linux too, he uses ubuntu though but well... i was telling him stuff about linuxing and showing him artix how great it is ;D.
So yeah so far ill be transforming two people into linux users  8) . And also everytime i meet new people and we talk about tech i always say i use linux. Oh maybe one day i am gonna convert more people from windows 10 to artix or at least any linux distro at first.

oh i forgot to mention that my friend in poland we both are into music so i think i am gonna explain him everything i know so we can both be satisfied artix users and record music here too. well my friend loves audacity and its free and open source we dont need anything else at this point :D:D