Skip to main content
Topic: Has anybody from here used minifree.org laptops?? (Read 2079 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anybody from here used minifree.org laptops??

The acer i have got now is crap cuz battery is built in and i need something with easily replaceable battery... so i thought maybe i should get one of these from this website.
But is it possible to install Artix on them, i wonder...  ???

https://minifree.org/

Re: Has anybody from here used minifree.org laptops??

Reply #1
Did you end up getting one?

from what I had read you could install a different OS on it, under options when purchasing.

2 minor draw backs for me though

1) at the time of writing their page/ having stock for sale, at least one system has issues with ATI Radeon graphics (been disabled). however they have moved from Libreboot to Talos if that means anything to you, it also might change the effect on the ati cards.

2) Im from a JPIFFS (Just Play it For F*** Sake) crowd,  its operating system might run into audio and visual conflicts due to its terms and conditions of free open source vs propriety software.

other than that it does look pretty polished, reminds me of the Q4OS though in the desktop (Trinity DE I think it is)
http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Reply #2
Nah, i haven't... The way i live is have no job or whatever, i spend most of my time reading books nowadays... However i had some cash to spend so because i walk a lot i decided to get a camera instead, 8gb ram 480gb ssd laptop costed more than the camera anyway. I have got acer laptop perhaps for me it was just about battery and intel/amd backdoor thing, so i am still not able to get one.

Reply #4
ok after months of waiting i finally got my laptop shipped
i have librebooted lenovo thinkpad T500 and it's amazing... It came with trisquel but im gonna instal artix now laters i will dual boot it with Hyperbola....

Reply #5
Did you end up getting one?

from what I had read you could install a different OS on it, under options when purchasing.

2 minor draw backs for me though

1) at the time of writing their page/ having stock for sale, at least one system has issues with ATI Radeon graphics (been disabled). however they have moved from Libreboot to Talos if that means anything to you, it also might change the effect on the ati cards.

2) Im from a JPIFFS (Just Play it For F*** Sake) crowd,  its operating system might run into audio and visual conflicts due to its terms and conditions of free open source vs propriety software.

other than that it does look pretty polished, reminds me of the Q4OS though in the desktop (Trinity DE I think it is)
http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Is that Leah Rowe's business.  I have one of those laptops.  I have found it to be a very difficult machine.  Physically, the machine was taken apart and put back together again, and mine was a little rattley.  Thinkpad t400s are usually solid as a rock.  Libreboot is a huge disapointment for me, and in my opinion, it is not usable.  Now this is partly because of how they install the system with an encrypted hard drive.  Good luck trying to changed the OS.  If I wanted to use free software to lock someone into something, I would use libreboot... it is unbelievablely uncooperative.

Finally, just to give you a heads up, you can find these t400s on ebay, with libreboot, pretty cheap.

Reply #6

Is that Leah Rowe's business.  I have one of those laptops.  I have found it to be a very difficult machine.  Physically, the machine was taken apart and put back together again, and mine was a little rattley.  Thinkpad t400s are usually solid as a rock.  Libreboot is a huge disapointment for me, and in my opinion, it is not usable.  Now this is partly because of how they install the system with an encrypted hard drive.  Good luck trying to changed the OS.  If I wanted to use free software to lock someone into something, I would use libreboot... it is unbelievablely uncooperative.

Finally, just to give you a heads up, you can find these t400s on ebay, with libreboot, pretty cheap.
i have got different experience...
i am not sure if u can get t400s that look like new on ebay...

Another thing is that i have installed Gnu/linux Hyperbola today and on libreboot this distro feels amazing...