Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED}Custom Kernel? (Read 3439 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED}Custom Kernel?

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has a kernel build template or "how to" that they can share? I ask this in the packaging section because if I am thinking ahead I would rather have pacman handle the installation of a made package from a new kernel build over manual compilation and installation. Benefits being numerous from dkms handling my 8821ce wifi to single command removal if needed. If I am not mistaken if I manually compile and install pacman will not know about it.

I am on Ryzen 3550h hardware and this hardware just hit the shelves. Having great luck with Artix on the hardware so far. I want to play with efi-stub and see if I can nest the kernel as an efi application bypassing grub for refind-efi. Need to sew that in make menuconfig by identifying the root filesystem within the kernel. That and this hardware is brand new. Thanks to the 5.04 kernel I see almost no acpi errors on init however there are still some swing and misses in dmesg. Makes me want to experiment.

I've built kernels on Slackware many times however my first few attempts yesterday resulted in fails. Not familiar with the build tools available in Artix. Documentation would be wonderful, apologies if I missed any existing docs in my slightly hung over state.

Daryl

Re: Custom Kernel?

Reply #1
I've built kernels on Slackware many times however my first few attempts yesterday resulted in fails. Not familiar with the build tools available in Artix.

A lot of Artix's approach are similar to Arch, so you can use the archwiki page for kernel. for a start. Some links may have to be changed to suit Artix's repos though. (e.g. asp update linux may need to be changed to git clone https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packagesL/linux and so on). Also, you may want to get familiar with makepkg and PKGBUILD (if you want pacman to handle the packaging), both of them have manpages.
now only the dinit guy in artix

[SOLVED}Re: Custom Kernel?

Reply #2
Code: [Select]
[daryl@FX505DY ~]$ uname -r
5.0.5-artix1-1-ARTIX

Worked like a charm. Thank you so much for sharing the nice tools! Had to skip pgp checks but other than that it went smooth. Saw that Arch had 5.05 in their repo and built. Edited pkgbuild and voila. Saw both my network adapters on dkms rebuild for the new kernel. Perfect! Now I can try to rebuild with EFI stub linked to root fs. Or figure a sed command to insert it in to .config before it loads and get it in the pkgbuild. 

Thank you again!

Re: [SOLVED}Custom Kernel?

Reply #3
Can you please explain how you did it ? I also want to install a custom kernel but had issues when I tried do it the traditional way on artix