Skip to main content
Topic: What are the advantages of lxqt over other lightweight DEs like mate and xfce? (Read 10720 times) previous topic - next topic

What are the advantages of lxqt over other lightweight DEs like mate and xfce?

What are the advantages of lxqt over other lightweight DE's that convinced the Artix team to bundle it with the live cds?

Not many linux distros choose to bundle with lxqt or lxde desktops these days. Lxqt isn't THAT much lighter than mate or xfce. Hasn't been in the game as long and doesn't have as many configurations as them. I haven't used these desktop environments all that much to give a fair take, but I did enjoy customized xfce and mate quite a bit when I used them. I am hoping when lxqt reaches 1.0 release, it will have all the necessary features to finally put it on the map.

Re: What are the advantages of lxqt over other lightweight DEs like mate and xfce?

Reply #1
IMHO, it misses a lot.

I personally judge a DE by:
- its memory usage
- classical features (alt-tab for window list)
- easy configuration (GUI)

Then:
- Ability to use external display
- 4K screens & fonts
- Manage touch display

I used to use XFCE then Maté, they suck on the ability to use external display. Compared to Plasma or Gnome. Maté is close.

Re: What are the advantages of lxqt over other lightweight DEs like mate and xfce?

Reply #2
What are the advantages of lxqt over other lightweight DE's that convinced the Artix team to bundle it with the live cds?

Lxqt is a pure functional choice, it is lightweight, qt based, and thus pulls in less dependencies for the calamares installer.
In short, lxqt only serves the purpose of having a light base to install calamares on, and its useful as rescue cd.

I don't use lxqt on my system, I use kde, but we do not have enough maintainers to add kde to our repos.
So lxqt is  next to be added to our repos. Long term plan is to get rid of the arch repo dependencies, ie artix will only use artix repos at some point. But, we do not plan to add gnome.

Reply #3
Lxqt is a pure functional choice, it is lightweight, qt based, and thus pulls in less dependencies for the calamares installer.

Perfect choice. It surely helps having such a small ISO (compared to other distibutions)

Reply #4
I have tried to look at lxqt objectively, as much as I can, but I can't help but compare it to LXDE.
I see LXQT as being a Qt based version of LXDE, but as LXDE remains refined and fine tuned, lXQT keeps growing because Qt is growing.  Although I have installed it a few  times on people needing a full desktop (coming out of windows straight into artix) I did so because I know artix will support them if they run into trouble.
Personally, subjectively, I despise it.  Aesthetically it is almost as bad as plasma.  (go ahead vote me up as mr. Popular).

Both Qt and Kde irritate me to even look through a live image of some distro.  If I had to have a desktop it would be lxde, I can tolerate xfce.  But I am happily living with openbox, obmenu-generator, I have removed dbus and elogind, and I am still trying to find out what will ever break, from what I use and do.

Yesterday I removed ffmpeg too.  I looked at the upgrade, it was getting huge and bringing in a whole bunch of new packages I have no clue what they are so I got rid of it instead.

Reply #5
Perfect choice. It surely helps having such a small ISO (compared to other distibutions)
I have to agree. I much prefer qt base, especially since it makes it so simple to install kde...my de of choice. ;)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #7
I prefer JWM to window maker or Openbox, I certainly dislike lxqt and have seen the point of it the not in the least apart from a installer

Reply #8
I would say it is simpler to use  :-[

Reply #9
Everybody has their own unique  set of criteria for their ideal DE. Personally I enjoy working with  LXQt, as I do with xfce., and I enjoy doing things in the different ways offered by each DE. However what I really can't stand in any DE is transparency effects. Drives me crazy when I can see through a window. When I installed artix this weekend, what did I see? Transparency effects everywhere! I removed compton. No more transparency. I'm happy now.

Reply #10
My six kids used to all use there own desktops, and that was about 2006 or so.  They felt very comfortable flipping them and working with multiple environments.