Skip to main content
Topic: New ISO, MATE desktop (Read 7087 times) previous topic - next topic

New ISO, MATE desktop

2 new MATE ISOs are available, a standard issue and a desktop edition, both with a nice, dark GTK theme. The desktop one is beefier and comes with a lot more packages, most important of which are:
Code: [Select]
mpv
gimp
mcomix
inkscape
veracrypt
handbrake
firefox
libreoffice-fresh
sylpheed
geany
wine
lollypop
audacity
brasero
openshot
syncthing-gtk
tigervnc

These are marked as community ISOs, meaning they're not officially supported like base and lxqt.

Re: New ISO, MATE desktop

Reply #2
You mean a base  and a mate or is the one a MATE instraller and the other has the full live desktop?

I havent downloaded and had a look yet but i would say its more of a minimal install the standard iso. Less packages than the full blown experience of Mate with shiteloads of packages.

Very cool, i dont mind mate as a desktop. I might have to convert once i get a bit more ram.

Reply #3
I downloaded the full iso and gave a try live. It is certainly a well thought out and very professional looking desktop experience. Definitely a thumbs up from me on your implementation @nous. Well done....I would recommend this for all the fans of Mate. I am still a Plasma fan however.....just because. ;)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #4
Well done nous.  It's snappy as a desktop - looks really great.  And the power button!  It let's you log out, reboot etc instead of just shutting the machine down.  This I like alot!

Old-timer penguin

Reply #5
2 new MATE ISOs are available, a standard issue and a desktop edition, both with a nice, dark GTK theme. The desktop one is beefier and comes with a lot more packages, most important of which are:
mpv
gimp
mcomix
inkscape
veracrypt
handbrake
firefox
libreoffice-fresh
sylpheed
geany
wine
lollypop
audacity
brasero
openshot
syncthing-gtk
tigervnc

These are marked as community ISOs, meaning they're not officially supported like base and lxqt.

Nice work virtually how I've  been using mate for a year.
The mate menu has now been dropped to AUR which is a shame it would be nice if you could add it to the Artix repro, as it really finishes the mate  desktop.

Reply #6
How come the Brisk menu isn't that popular with Mate users? Is there some inherent bugs that come with it?

Reply #8
Will try it out when i get hold of my laptop which is 1500 kilometers away from me now ;). I miss linuxing!!@@@
I don't have a smartphones so laptop with linux is my only electronic gadget i use (apart from digital camera).

Can't wait to try it out when i am gonna have my laptop back.
Nice stuff

Reply #9
I tried installing the Maté ISO from the download page on Virtualbox: It failed at install, at the mkcpioinit stage.
btw, the installer & Live cd are nice, I hope you will maintain it.

Reply #10
I've just installed this new Mate ISO (not the full one).  Installation went without a hitch and everthing is working that was installed. However, when coming to upgrade the packages using
pacman -Syyu
it downloaded all the packages but then wouldn't upgrade them due to conflicts.

I think it's back to the drawing board with this one.

Edit: Never mind, it's just updated.

Reply #11
I've just installed this new Mate ISO (not the full one).  Installation went without a hitch and everthing is working that was installed. However, when coming to upgrade the packages using
pacman -Syyu
it downloaded all the packages but then wouldn't upgrade them due to conflicts.

I think it's back to the drawing board with this one.

Edit: Never mind, it's just updated.

The problem should be solved.
Try again.

Reply #13
I never liked mate but I have to admit this one is pretty nice.
That trick with pacman downloading and pacman eating the dots, I think I've seen it before on archlabs, how do we do this.  Is it a modification in pacman code?

Dark themed MATE desktop Artix releases