Skip to main content
Topic: Artix without Arch [community] and [extra] pools? (Read 1147 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix without Arch [community] and [extra] pools?

Hi all, my primary desktop is Plasma shell 5, and i almost don't need any non-Qt apps, expect GTK ones which don't have Qt replacements, like WICD-GTK (never found installable WICD-Qt5) and iBus-GTK (iBus-Qt5 doesn't look available as setup frontend)
For graphics KolourPaint, Karbon (under Calligra office suite), Krita are KDE apps, shouldn't be missing on Plasma-only distro.
Finally Scribus (graphics) and VLC (sound and video) are also Qt5-written but not that dependent on KDE, so unsure for presence on Plasma-only distro.
These Plasma-centric distro are Bluestar, Chakra, KaOS, Netrunner, i just remove the Arch [community] and [extra] pools then add ones from Plasma-centric distro.

Finally, does this look to be a good choice to run Plasma-centric pacman repo pools on the Artix base systems?
:) AMD APU R4750G Zen2 Lucienne-G GCN Vega8 :) ASRock DeskMini X300 AMD edition :) 48GB SoDiMM DDR4 RAM’s
:) Samsung 980PRO NVMe SSD 1.82TiB (nvme0n1; with 867GiB ZPool) :) Samsung 970EVO+ NVMe SSD 1.82TiB (nvme1n1; with 963GiB ZPool)
:) Samsung 860QVO 2.5’’ SSD 3.63TiB (sda; with 2TiB ZPool) :) Transcend 220Q 2.5’’ SSD 1.82TiB (sdb; w/o ZPool)
:) AOC 2K QHD LED IPS screen

Re: Artix without Arch [community] and [extra] pools?

Reply #1
You could use connman along with cmst instead of wicd gtk.

But you dont really need wicd gtk, you could just use wicd-cli and get rid of the gtk front end, but you wouldnt have any systray functionality in that case which is probably what you want to keep.

community/cmst 2019.01.13-1
    A QT based GUI front end for the connman connection manager
community/connman 1.37-1
    Intel's modular network connection manager

Re: Artix without Arch [community] and [extra] pools?

Reply #2
Hi all, my primary desktop is Plasma shell 5, and i almost don't need any non-Qt apps, expect GTK ones which don't have Qt replacements, like WICD-GTK (never found installable WICD-Qt5) and iBus-GTK (iBus-Qt5 doesn't look available as setup frontend)
For graphics KolourPaint, Karbon (under Calligra office suite), Krita are KDE apps, shouldn't be missing on Plasma-only distro.
Finally Scribus (graphics) and VLC (sound and video) are also Qt5-written but not that dependent on KDE, so unsure for presence on Plasma-only distro.
These Plasma-centric distro are Bluestar, Chakra, KaOS, Netrunner, i just remove the Arch [community] and [extra] pools then add ones from Plasma-centric distro.

Finally, does this look to be a good choice to run Plasma-centric pacman repo pools on the Artix base systems?
I may be missing the point, but why would you substitute one of the mentioned systemd distros  community and extra repos in place of systemd Arch repos....which Artix is derived from and tries to be "compatible" with as much as possible? Is Arch lacking as far as Plasma is concerned? I use Plasma with Arch community and extra repos and don't seem to be lacking anything Plasma wise. And, on the plus side, Artoo is a Plasma user I am fairly certain.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.