Skip to main content
Topic: Using wine and proprietary stuff on linux (Read 1339 times) previous topic - next topic

Using wine and proprietary stuff on linux

Hey

I come here to find out what's your opinion on using wine/proprietary stuff on gnu/linux.
I have discovered that using both wine/proprietary stuff or open source shapes my brain in different ways. I imagine that if i am ever gonna have kids and family, it will be much better for them if they only use open-source stuff, like games and other things.
I try to answer the question is wine good or bad because i think
1) If i have got linux installed on the hard drive, why would i want to use windows apps and spend time using them on linux, only because this os uses much less resources??
2) Linux gave me abilities to take care of my laptop more, so everytime i run some windows game i notice my laptop is heating a lot, and that kills the battery of the laptop. When i play games like Hedgewars or SuperTux the laptop heat is okay, it is cold. Therefore it;s more mobile and my laptop can live longer??
3) I have noticed that windows games are usually very frustrating, and also enslaving in many ways. I think windows consumes people souls... Same as games. I go play Diablo 2 and i feel like i spend hours on nothing.
So i keep wondering is it really worth it to bother with wine/windows stuff on linux... It's more a philosphical matter rather than something else. Should it be like using linux only open source free stuff or using linux but windows/linux software as well...

Re: Using wine and proprietary stuff on linux

Reply #1
I have a rather pragmatic approach on this.

1. If there's a FOSS alternative to a proprietary software, I'll use the FOSS alternative.
2. If there's no FOSS alternative, then sure I'll use the proprietary software.
3. Is it worth it to use Wine or even having a separate Windows partition? That depends on what you need. I'll freely admit I had to use a Windows-only software so I used Wine. Is it worth it? For me, yes.
4. When it comes to games, I don't care whether it's FOSS or not. I like the term "software-as-an-art" and not in the functional sense. If any games, Linux or Windows, "consumes your soul" or "spend hours on nothing", you just lack of self-control, or bored because maybe you've "won it all".

Ultimately it comes back to "what do you want?". If you want to go the Stallman way, go ahead.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #2
I'm not really full Stallman on this issue either, but I definitely use FOSS as much as I can. When it comes to games, I don't really play them either. Well, I read some visual novels which are I suppose are technically games, so I fire up wine for that.

Reply #3
I think konimex has the right of it.  If there is a FLOSS alternative use that, if there is not and you really need that function, you will have to compromise.  As for when it comes to games, while I disapprove of DRM, I understand a game being closed-source.  Even Stallman has a mixed statement on this topic, accepting the copyright of the artistic elements of a game, if not being okay with a closed-source engine.

2) Linux gave me abilities to take care of my laptop more, so everytime i run some windows game i notice my laptop is heating a lot, and that kills the battery of the laptop. When i play games like Hedgewars or SuperTux the laptop heat is okay, it is cold. Therefore it;s more mobile and my laptop can live longer??

Sorry, but you are being far too vague here to give an answer.  If you are comparing things like HedgeWars to modern Windows AAA titles, then of course the Windows game is going to consume more power and heat your laptop more.  While there may be an element of code quality involved the main cause here is that HedgeWars is ultimately a rather simple game that is not performing as many complicated actions.

3) I have noticed that windows games are usually very frustrating, and also enslaving in many ways. I think windows consumes people souls... Same as games. I go play Diablo 2 and i feel like i spend hours on nothing.

This is really a case of personal preference more than anything else.  Either you are spoiled by modern games to the point that older titles lose their satisfaction (you are talking about a 20-yr old game here) or you just don't enjoy that game in particular.  The platform/source model of a game really shouldn't have anything to do with your enjoyment of it.

Reply #4
3) modern games in general are just PayToWin or PayToPlay remakes of old classics.

Reply #5
Last year i decided to delete my blizzard and steam account because i thought to myself that playing these games is very selfish. You spend 6 hours playing some counter strike or diablo 3 and these are games made by huge corporations whereas these open source ones (well battle for wesnoth is quite huge game though) the one i find in debian repos for example or stuff like hedgewars or supertux, well playing them is less selfish because these are games made by some individuals probably unpaid and i still have it in mind that i can have a look how the game has been written and learn from it.

Me and my mate record some music, yesterday we did record piano i record drums we gonna record vocals too and other instruments, and Audacity is completely perfect stuff for this and it runs on Linux very well apart from it was crashing but i think that is RAM usage concern.

Reply #6
MANE