Skip to main content
Topic: Connman sends tons of unnecessary queries (Read 2860 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Connman sends tons of unnecessary queries

Reply #30
There's also dhcpcd + dhcpcd-<your_init> (I have dhcpcd-suite66).

Meanwhile, I got a response from a connman dev, he proposed a slightly different solution, but with the same effect. Still discussing over email, will post an update here if/when this gets patched.

Reply #31
Yhaaaa  :D  you made it @strajder yupii  :P . It means it was just a bug or someone tested our vigilance  8) . Congrats once again!

Reply #32
This patch adds configuration options OnlineCheckIPv4URL and OnlineCheckIPv6URL to connman, so users can
configure their own URLs for the online check:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/connman/connman.git/commit/?id=9d7e55f40e807ea7d28a34b20e50af1b06ea2fda

This patch organizes the online check code into a single function:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/connman/connman.git/commit/?id=a84f03f6f6c5d69cbb2e2c32326f9af603b0f8a7

This patch makes the setting EnableOnlineCheck globally respected. If it is set to false, no server pinging will be done by connman:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/connman/connman.git/commit/?id=85d04c03dd0f9f35394d84ba2fcc6ccfc17af293

Note: For anyone who values simplicity in software, running connman (as a daemon) is an overkill, so even in the scenario when user is on a laptop, frequently changing networks (for example, using wifi in cafes or hotels), using setnet as a quick and easy one-shot configuration generator for wpa_supplicant should be preferable. Otherwise, one can use wpa_cli, which is simpler, but requires some learning.

Reply #33
the correct "arch way" would be to package a default config with the config knobs set so the "feature" is disabled by default, you then have to enable it if you want it..

if the code upstream is broken so the configuration is not applied correctly, then you found a bug, that is to be fixed upstream...
until its fixed upstream a patch can be applied if maintainers think its worth the work..

so now that the bug is fixed upstream, but not yet in a tagged release, it should be generated a patch via git to cherry-pick the needed commits against the used tag so artix-testing can actually be the backporting bleeding edge its supposed to be :)

there will most likely be atleast a few months before we get a tagged connman release with the commits added.

great job in fixing this strajder and the others that have been involved
Why did i choose Linux so many years ago?
< - Privacy - Stability - Usability - >

Reply #34
the correct "arch way" would be to package a default config with the config knobs set so the "feature" is disabled by default, you then have to enable it if you want it..
This is up to the package maintainers. I'm sure they already have something like this in mind.