Skip to main content
Topic: Install used to work, but no longer does (Read 1148 times) previous topic - next topic

Install used to work, but no longer does

I had installed Artix on a Fujitsu Lifebook laptop and it worked with no problems until a series of qt5 updates rendered the LXQt desktop inoperable.  I would get to the login screen, but then it would lock up when I tried to log in.  I had the same issue happen with an installation of Artix on my desktop computer.  Fortunately, I'd installed the Lumina desktop on my desktop to try it out.  When LXQt wouldn't work, I was able to log in using Lumina .  I was able to correct the problem on the desktop system by getting the qt5 updates from the "world-testing" repository as someone mentioned on another thread.

With the laptop, however, I had no alternative desktop environment to turn to.  I've tried re-installing 3 times, but nothing works.  It goes through the installation process without indicating any errors, but when I reboot, I get to the SDDM screen, put in my user name and password, and then it locks up.  I checked off the boxes to install Cinnamon and i3, but Cinnamon never shows up on the list of available alternatives and both openbox and i3 lock up the system just like LXQt does.

Is the qt5 issue due to the mixed repositories?  I tried to enable "world-testing" prior to the install, but that didn't work either.  Is there something else that would correct this problem?  I like Artix and I really want to get it working on my laptop again.

Re: Install used to work, but no longer does

Reply #1
Yes, it is due to the mixed repos. You have to be careful about updating; check whether there are any dependencies across Artix and Arch. Or you can just always check the forum and/or IRC when you see a lot of updates.

Reply #2
Do a console install as described in the wiki article. Then install a lightweight backup desktop like LXDE along with your main one.

Reply #3
Openbox is already installed with lxqt and that is what I use without a hickup.
You can select openbox from the sddm screen instead of LXQT
LXDE work well on top of openbox too, and since openbox is half of it, it is almost installed.
If you haven't used openbox before you right click for a menu.

Reply #4
The first thing I tried after logging into LXQt failed was to try Openbox.  It won't work either.  I was just lucky with my desktop computer.  It had Lumina which did work (not perfectly, but well enough) and allowed me to edit the pacman configuration, add the world-testing repository, and then update the qt5 files.  Once that was done, LXQt was working again.

Doing a command line base install with the laptop is probably the only option I have at this point.  I've done that a few times with Arch installs.  I'm not sure when I'll have enough time to invest in such an effort, however.

Reply #5
Alright.  I found a workaround:

-Start up the computer with the Artix-LXQt live DVD.
-Use nano to edit /etc/pacman.conf and add [world-testing]
-Update repositories with pacman -Syy
-Run calamares
-Use the "replace existing partition" option (whenever I try to set up a separate /home partition, calamares crashes)
-Let calamares finish the install

After going through these steps, LXQt works because the correct qt5 files are installed.

I'll have to ignore updates until all of the bugs are worked out.  I hope that this issue doesn't discourage too many new users who are giving Artix a try.